CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Emily Mattes

Profile:
How do you deal with being injured?

I posted about two weeks ago about my frustration with reoccurring injuries. I pulled a hip adductor, cutting out all leg exercises except calves and walking (you would be surprised how many exercises engage the hip adductor). I figured no sweat, I'll just do all upper-body. Did that, and now my rotator cuff is busted and I get lower back pain. So I've been doing physical therapy, walking a lot, and doing ab work, basically taking a break, but it's not enough and I feel like I'm going out of my mind. I want to go back to Crossfitting but when I try my body immediately tells me I'm not ready yet. How do you deal with being sidelined?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: How do you deal with being injured?

Not very well is the short answer! I'm sidelined at the moment, I'm also on leave. I'm doing a lot of work in the garden (we have a hectare block) and trying not to think about my waistline. Or my fitness and the pain I am going to go through when I start running again.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

You can always work your grip, but make sure you don't overdo it and break all 10 of your fingers or something.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Brad Davis

Profile:

I really feel your pain. I've been among the walking wounded ever since I started CF last year.

One thing I've done is to stop looking at the WOD or the comments. I think that really helps me.

This might help: From recovering from my previous injuries, it seems to me that metcon comes back in a hurry anyway. The point is to not lose sleep over at least that part of your fitness world. Last year, for example, I only did Fran twice, with a PR of 11:00, then I hurt my shoulder trying to learn to kip. I was off upper body work for 5 months. About 6 weeks after resuming pullups, I did it in 7:45 (all dead-hang pullups, LOL) on my first try post-injury.

I'm spending quite a bit of time reading and working on my diet. Not packing on fat during a low workload period keeps my morale from really dropping. I've experimented with a few different IF plans and tried to learn to minimize inflammation due to diet. Keeping myself occupied with that stuff has helped too.

Just have to focus on the positives. Every time I've hurt something so far, I've learned from it. The problem is that I keep hurting different bodyparts! I guess I'm not very good at generalizing my knowledge.

Last edited by Brad Davis; 09-30-2007 at 09:21 PM..
Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
You can always work your grip, but make sure you don't overdo it and break all 10 of your fingers or something.
Good idea, but start slow and be very mindful of any pain near that little bone beside the funny bone area or in the muscles just below it: golfer's elbow.

At one point this year, I started working grip a bit more and got a case of golfer's elbow for my troubles. Then I couldn't do pullups, deadlifts, cleans, presses, thrusters, divebomber pushups, snatches, bentover rows, medball anything, sandbag anything, DB/KB swings, or anything else that required grip or stretching of those muscles. Freakin' cut out half my exercises.

Last edited by Brad Davis; 09-30-2007 at 09:23 PM..
Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I have almost permanent tendonitis in my elbows, it comes and goes. Pulling out weeds in the garden and shovelling dirt both aggravate it no end! When I overdo the gardening bit I usually get carpal tunnel as well and wake up through the night with painful forearms and numb hands!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

I do nothing because I'm naturally lazy (which can be a good thing assuming I've been working hard).

But once I get back in I force myself to take it slow to ramp up the intensity so I won't injure myself. Also, learning how to sense when your body is about to break down and stopping plus icing is a VERY important skill to learn.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
Adam Noble

Profile:

Movies and video games Catch up on lots of books too.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
Cal Jones

Profile:

I feel your pain, Emily - chronic rotator cuff problem here, which flares up every now and then, and also nursing an injured knee. Touch of golfer's elbow too - I am beginning to think I'll never get more than one pull-up because my elbow and shoudler just don't like that movement.

I usually work whatever hurts least - I guess I rotate my injuries. I'm never pain free, though. And if I can't work much, then I'll just slow down for a bit, walk a lot and maybe do a bit of yoga.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Emily,

Patience. You've tested yourself training hard. Now you're being tested in a different way.

Have a realistic idea of how long before your injuries heal. That's could be measured in months, not weeks.

Meantime, keep walking. Can you swim somewhere? The crawl might aggravate the shoulder, but perhaps the breast stroke and side stroke wouldn't. I know an old Navy "frogman" (he served before the SEALs were invented), and he said they did the sidestroke, so its not just for old ladies.

Good luck.