CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Tariq Kassum

Profile:
I've been Crossfitting for about two years now. I've had fairly substantial gains as measured from when I began, but they have generally come in fits and starts. This is as expected.

But has anyone else noticed really dramatic gains just recently? I feel like in the last couple of months I've made major improvements in both cardiovascular fitness and strength.

I would have thought this was an isolated phenomenon, but my lovely girlfriend Norma, who I often work out with, (and who is a fair bit more diligent than I am at the whole Crossfit thing) has noticed EXACTLY the same thing. Both of us are having trouble fitting in our old clothes - arms, shoulders and chests too big (for Norma, the latter is particularly exciting!).

Anyone else notice this? I want to see if it is a programming thing or just an isolated event. If the former, thanks again, Crossfit.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Jerry Berg

Profile:

not an isolated event brother

i.e. my DL increased 45lbs in about 5 weeks of doing CF WODs and Rippetoe's SS program.

i've had all my suits altered (smaller waist, jacket made larger) and had to buy new shirts due to them being too small in the chest and too large around the middle.

pretty cool, huh?

has your diet changed dramatically in the past few months? that's when i notice massive differences. more specifically, i've added about 2000 calories the past month, and as jon gilson said, it's like adding jet fuel.

(Message edited by cadenceout on February 27, 2007)
Old 02-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Do you mean, since we started with this whole CrossFit Total stuff? :showoff:
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Tariq Kassum

Profile:
I wonder if it does have something to do with the renewed focus on strength, as exemplified by the CFT.

Jerry: interestingly, my diet has not changed. Tonight, however, I am eating pizza and drinking beer to make myself feel better (I work on Wall Street and the Dow dropped 400 points today).
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I think this is the entire reason that the CFT was brought to its current standard of importance. More and more it seemed that those that did the best at the high-power Crossfit efforts and had the best results had a good base of strength (i.e. Kelly Moore or Josh Everett) This is the way to remedy the fact that many people are coming into the program now without this strength base from which to work, and the results are as expected, greater strength, which is obvious, and better conditioning, because of the better foundation on which to build it. Awesome stuff!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Yep, more balanced toward strength. I also think the max strength days give rest for greater performance on the metcons.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Yeah, I was going to say it's all the deadlifting.
So far this year there haven't been too many of those WODs that are a mixed bag for time (like the "Cindy" 2 days ago) and more singles and triples. I like it.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Alex Tsiros

Profile:
I've only been CFing a few months, but I noticed in the last month (even just a few weeks), I've jumped in strength. My last 3x7 squats were at about 50 lbs and yesterday's WOD I did 85 my last set. That's a huge leap in just a couple weeks!

Although, as a petite woman, I'm not sure I want my legs to get THAT big!! :-)
Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
i've noticed it too. I've been crossfitting for 10 months now, and before crossfit I had been working out regular body building style for 10 years.

since december my squat went up 60# and my deadlift is up 75# in two months. and i have also noticed i am still improving my times on metcon workouts, while increasing weight.