CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Ryan Turek

Profile:
The doctor gave the okay to go back to working out. I was wondering what exercises are good for someone who had just recovered from surgery? Specifically surgery that involves the head...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Laurie Bowler

Profile:
Hey Ryan, I just wanted to say congratulations and good luck with your CI. Our son has had his for over 5 years now and it one of the best things we've ever done. It took him a long time to get used to it but he hears at about 15 - 20 dB across the board now. Amazing little things.

Anyway, since its head and ear surgery (not brain - a common misconception we've found)and CF doesn't involve a lot of contact I'd imagine easing back into everything as tolerated is the way to go. Watch anything where you hold your breath and strain, that would be my only concern but then again you may discover its fine.

Again - best of luck in this hearing journey for you!
Laurie -Rainier CF
Casey was implanted with a N24C June 2001
Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I have had a patient with CI and have treated with many crossfit principles with very good results. I don't know of anything in crossfit that would interfere with CI.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Ryan Turek

Profile:
Thanks. I have the Nucleus Freedom. It's working great so far, but I'm anxious to hear more..

Thats another issue I have when I work out. I tend to hold my breath for the duration of the exercise. I've also found this applies in normal day to day breathing. I tend to breathe shallow and it looks as if I don't move my belly/chest at all when breathing.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Laurie Bowler

Profile:
Hey Ryan,
Sounds like the breathing is just something else to work on!

The Freeedoms look cool, we still have the 3G. You may want to visit a beauty supply store for some toupe tape if the BTE tends to move or bounce around or fall off. Its one time use, apply before you're sweaty, I don't know how well it works if you get really sweaty but you may need some help in the "sticking" department especially as summer gets here. Not sure if the Freedom is compatible with the mic lock tubing but that may help, too.

Its a journey for sure.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Ryan Turek

Profile:
Hey Laurie,

Yeah, I guess I will just have to consciously remind myself to breathe deeply throughout the day. I was thinking about doing cardio to kick my breathing back into rhythm. I know I can do some Yoga. It's been a while since I've practiced it but I suppose I am just a little impatient at the moment since its the first time I've been able to work out again. Speaking of working out, I take the BTE off. Even though it has a microphone cover with absorbent ability,(I also have a storage box that cleanses the BTE, etc with a dessicant and a UV light) it just makes sense to take it off. There's no point in risking damage. Besides, the silence is reassuring. :-D