CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
crossfit for disabled?

(not sure of the PC terms so no offence intended)

is there courses/ competitions/ programmes of Crossfit that cater for disabilities?
I get that 'everything is scalable', however what i'm keen to find out more about is if there is a variation of crossfit for the wheelchair bound or those with no arms...and are there modified WODs and competitions that cater for those who want to do crossfit but have disabilities?

e.g. Fran for someone immobile below the waist, yes you can modify it (scale it), but is there a 'standard' variation that can be used across the disabled crossfit community?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
Kevin Don

Profile:
Re: crossfit for disabled?

I think that's a great question! I have never heard of that and from having seen some adaptive athletes training, it seems that they themselves are constantly experimenting. I think it would be extremely difficult to make a standard 'disability scale' because everyone's disability is different. you could have adaptive athletes who don't have the use of their legs and others who don't have the use of their arms, therefore a universal adaptive scale would have to be so long and all encompassing that it doesn't make much sense. However, I do agree that perhaps CF could run a course in how to be better prepared for adaptive CF and how to scale WODs.

KD
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
Richard Joy

Profile:

You might be interested in Crossfit Rubicon's site.

http://www.cfrubicon.com/ (wfs)

They have a significant number of "adaptive athletes," so they might have some information you'd be interested in. They've also held a competition in the past called the "Working Wounded Games" that was designed for severely wounded veterans and amputees.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Ezra Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
(not sure of the PC terms so no offence intended)

is there courses/ competitions/ programmes of Crossfit that cater for disabilities?....
interesting. my brother is blind and does CrossFit on occasion. he has unbelievable body awareness.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

thanks for all the comments, really appreciated. I'd love it for someone to program/ design a course that specifically focuses on people with disabilities. actually, (and not trying to say they are the same) it would be good to do the same for the elderly as well.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Jacob Levin

Profile:

Kenneth, I think a good resource might be Crossfit Walter Reed. Have you read the journal entries about their work with wounded soldiers? I bet they'd have some great insights.