CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Is there a list or something similar that lists the goals for the "Girls" and "Hero" workouts? When I say goals, I mean something that would give you an idea of what I should strive for. Obviously I need to go as hard as I can and strive for the best I can accomplish, but it would be nice to see the goals
Old 07-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
Im not sure what your saying but I think you mean something like this...

http://www.crossfitnorth.com/article..._Standards.pdf

You can always see what the Elite CrossFitters are posting as thier scores in the comments everyday and strive for those.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:56 AM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I think he means a time standard for some of the benchmark workouts. I would be interested in people's ideas on this. What is a modest time for say Fran or Diane?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Erik Preston

Profile:
Mike, I would suggest looking through the time posts located in the WOD archives, to get a feel for times posted for benchmark workouts. While there's certainly no correlation between age/bw and Crossfit performance, it might help to give texture and background from which to measure yourself against, provided that you are pushing against the bounds of your perceived ability when you perform the exercise. That's the one constant that is assumed when we perform WOD's.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Jeremiah Hurley

Profile:
Mike
I've been doing this for about a year now and i have found that there is no time that you should be striving to beat other than your last one. If you read some of the early journals you will see that the benchmark workouts are used to judge your performance at various times to get a feel of where you are. I know this is tough since everyone wants to have the best time or have an above average time. If you continue to push yourself to beat your previous times nothing else matters.

J
Old 07-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Brad Baker

Profile:  
Well put Jeremiah!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Workout of the Day
Old 07-12-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Got a question. Which do you think are more difficult: knees to elbows or hanging leg lifts ?( though it's not specified, this is all the way up the bar, right? )
The knee to elbows, though tucked, compress the abs quite a bit. They also engage the upper body more which makes for a really tiring movement.
The hanging leg lifts ( to bar ) will really hit the hip flexors often before the abs. It's just a matter if you can hit 20 all the way to the top before tiring. If done correctly, as in head in with open shoulders, they really shouldn't engage the shoulders that much ( but they will a bit ). Put these on a stallbar ( basically a bar against a wall to limit the upper body engagement and encourage pike compression ).

I was just looking at the crossfit north standards in the dip thread and this came to mind.

Shouldn't situps be the prep for N-ups ( sitting knees to elbows) therefore leading to Vups, knees to elbows ( tuck lever ), leg lifts, and front lever hold? ( maybe throw in front lever lift to candlestick just as a drill? From a hang, lift to invert with straight body )

Are the muscleups specified on a bar or rings?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
After a test run with what few people remembered to come to adult gym class we decided to test out the knees to elbows vs hanging leg lifts.
We found the knees to elbows a lot more tiring on the abs with far more ab compression.
20 Hanging leg lifts is pretty tiring. Still the knees to elbows seemed more so.
At first the knees to elbows seemed pretty easy, but since it engages the shoulders more it got more tiring as they went on.
The hanging leg lifts just showed how crappy our hip flexor engagement is compared to how we know it should be. I think this is how some of our itty-bittie team girls can just pump out the hanging leg lifts but show poor abdominal strength in other movements.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Erica Bergstrom

Profile:
I think knees to elbows are definitely harder. I can do a lot of hanging leg lifts, but I can't do one knees to elbows.

I like the Athletic Skill Standards. They just give me an idea of where I'm at, and I'm a little better than I thought, which is encouraging.