CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Tim Ulcoq

Profile:
Hi team i've got a quick question. Has anyone had or heard of any experience like this? A close friend recently amped up the exercise at the gym after some time off. They went from about 2 sessions a week to 6, the final 2 of which were on a saturday. That night they only had two drinks and were violently ill and thoroughly incapacitated, whereas they normally had a much higher tolerance for alcohol.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any insight into whether a significant, short term increase in exercise can affect the amount of alcohol you can tolerate? I'm aware that a fit individual with a high metabolic rate has a lower alcohol tolerance, but I'm mainly focused on a short term boost in the level of exercise.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Two drinks of what?

Were pills or anything else taken alongside the drinks?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
No, all things being normalized I have not heard of this, but, lots of variables are possible and the informtion presented was not very specific.

how big are they?

how strong and big were the drinks?

how much do they normally drink does two drinks of the same strength and volume noramlly leave them feeling fine?

other intake muscle relaxants etc?

hydration level?

food poisoning or other acute illness hit them at the same time?

A normal drink is equal to roughly 1/2 oz of alcohol...
Old 08-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Craig, I was also leaning towards the hydration level question. Increasing workload can put you at risk for dehydration, and combining this with even small portions of alcohol can lead to some pretty iffy consequences!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Paul Symes

Profile:
Even worse than drinking after working out - working out, having a sauna and then drinking. Half a shandy and you're anyones.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Hydration issues would be my guess.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:
You know, this topic is especially interesting as I have become just about the cheapest date on the planet over the last couple of years. This phenomenon has definitely become more of an issue in the 20 months I've done CF and the Zone. Short term intolerance is either dehydration or something altogether different as noted above (food poisoning, other "additives"). Dehydration is a sneaky foe, and dehydration combined with an empty stomach (rapid alcohol uptake) is the probable cause of your friends unfortunate night.

Perhaps I'll launch a thread about long-term CF and decreased alcohol tolerance, lower %BW fat, etc.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 AM   #8
Tim Ulcoq

Profile:
Re: Exercise and sudden alcohol intolerance

Guys, thanks for the replies. The person was female, and the two drinks were vodka and cola, nothing too strong, wouldn';t normally have any affect on her. No other drugs were involved, and no other obvious signs of illness appeared before, at the time or after. I'm definately thinking it could have been a hydration issue.

Darrell on the same note as long term fitness and alcohol tolerance I remember reading a book on the 101st airborne in WWII (could have been Stephen E. Ambrose 'Band of Brothers'?) where one of the screaming eagles was talking about how easily they all got drunk after having completed their training prior to the drop into france, men who you would expect to be at the peak of their fitness....
Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Darren Zega

Profile:  

I think it's a mixture of things with the 101st soldiers. I've noticed after every period of military training I attend, when I hit a bar (usually within an hour of being released!) after one or two drinks I feel like I've had five.

My best guess is that its a combination of the body's adaptations to the sudden cessation of alcohol intake and to the increased stress present in training/deployment. I would venture to guess that there's increased sensitivity to other substances as well. It would make an interesting study.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
Clint Lecher

Profile:

Ive been working out for years with weightlifting, various sports, and martial arts. Ive been doing crossfit training for a few months now (love it!). I'm also in college right now. I dont drink all that often (considering im in college). I try only to drink when there is some kind of special occasion. The more time i go between drinking though i do notice that it doesnt take me as long to get drunk. Usually when im not drinking as frequently my workouts are able to get increasingly more intense. So for me i definitely believe that the more you work out and less you drink the lower your tolerance would be. There are also the many other factors people have named like food, hydration, body size, type of drink etc.....

Last edited by Clint Lecher : 08-20-2007 at 07:26 AM.