CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Motivation - On My Own Now?

Shane,

I followed OPT's being program for about a year. In the past I did CFFB to build up some strength.

For the past year I have been on an individualized program. (May 2013) I started with a local to me guy but have worked with Mike Fitzgerald out of Calgary for the last year.

I am really enjoying it and plan to continue with this for a while longer as long as life will allow.

I train about 1-1.5 hours 5 days a week.

I have looked at all the other blogs and there are some good ones out there. Best to find one that fits what you need and go from there.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Well, there are 3 gyms in Roseville if you're not counting Rocklin. Maybe one of them has a punchcard system.

30-45m

I'd look into something like maybe Dan John's OneLiftADay besides kb and BW work. Easy enough to pick a WOD here or there, WU and hit it. I did that for awhile when I didn't have much time to train.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Shane,

I followed OPT's being program for about a year. In the past I did CFFB to build up some strength.
I like OPT and their willingness to work with people. Ive had them call me in the past. Hardest part for me is following all the acronyms. There are quite a few not in the FAQ. I feel like sometimes I spend more time trying to confirm what the work is then actually doing work. Overall love the programming when I can figure it out.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #14
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith brianisrighthere View Post
So yesterday, I made the decision to take a break from going to the CrossFit affiliate I have been part of for over two years. I have been putting off making that decision for some time now. The reason really comes down to finding balance in my life. For the past few months, every night I've thought to myself, "If I just had one more hour in the day..." while constantly struggling to find time to get routine tasks done each day. And I realized that the time I spend commuting to and from the affiliate was an hour that I could get back.

But I am not done with fitness/CrossFit by any means. I love the way I feel, I enjoy lifting heavy things, and I think fitness is an integral part of life. But I've never had a home gym, nor was I ever motivated to work out on my own before finding a good community at an affiliate.

So, in the constant struggle of fitting more into each day, how do you guys find motivation to go lift? Especially when on your own. I'm planning to set a practice in my life that on certain days at certain times I do a WOD. But any tips on getting over the feeling that, "eh, I've got more important things to do than work out", would be great.

You need a change of perspective bud. Nobody can motivate you but yourself. To me training is the MOST important thing to me. Without strength and fitness I cannot protect my family and I run the risk of dying from a heart attack or stroke. Stress builds up and you make worse decisions. Happiness fades away with your health. Vicious cycle lol.

I train at home. You don't need much. I love bodyweight, but my best investments have been a couple of strength bands, and a 24kg kettlebell. Combined less than $100. I also use a pullup and dip bar.

The kettlebell takes no space and in 20 minutes I can get a brutal total body workout including a squat, hinge, push, pull, and carry. There are tons of great Kb programs out there. The bands are great for travel workout. I also use them as resistance for pushups and dips. Is you need more "cardio" than a KB provides (which you shouldn't) , invest in a good jump rope.. Or do my favorite... Go for a long walk with your family.

Reframe your thinking. Think of longevity when training not intensity.
Hope this helped
Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:

Still on the lookout for good used equipment, until then I'll be using the Freeletics app. It all bodyweight workouts and has a nice interface. The WODs are actually greuling.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #16
Shaun R Sullivan

Profile:

Where I live there are more CrossFit boxes than there are Starbucks, so Iím surprised you havenít found anything closer. I choose CrossFit over working out alone because itís fun, and I work harder. With a little friendly completion and some peer pressure, I always have a better work out.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
Miles Roberts

Profile:

My secret to keeping motivated? Doing it first thing in the morning. I know my work day starts at 8:00 every day. I subtract from there to see when I need to start working out in order to get done, clean, and get to work on time. If I didn't work out before work, I'd never go. When I leave work, I just want to go home and chill out usually.

Disclaimer - I still do work out at an affiliate, but only because I don't really have any equipment yet. If I had decent equipment, I'd still work out at home just as often, if not more. I like the push from the coaches, but for the most part, I could do without the rest of what comes with working out on someone else's terms.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Some people like the solitude. Some people like a friend to workout with.

Would you be more consistent about working out if you're doing this with a family member or friend?

It's awesome that my wife is into CrossFit. Working out with her in our home gym is my second favorite activity. It's motivating to share your accomplishments and PRs with someone else, and have someone to cheer on. High fives and fist bumps.