CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Erik Shauger

Profile:
How do You use the work out of the day?

I've been crossfitting for at least 3 years on and off now. I generally crossfit for a few months then kinda migrate back to a more traditional bodybuilding work out. I like crossfit due to the cardio component but sometimes think it needs more core bodybuilding lifts. Also sometimes the wod is a little too brief. Has anybody come up with a way to add in bodybuilding lifts with out messing up the programming of crossfit? I've seen crossfit football and done some of the wod's there but it's not quite what I want. I've also tried adding a strength component before the wod. The only problem is I need to stay a week behind the published crossfit wod to make sure I am not training the same body part twice in a row.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: How do You use the work out of the day?

Do one of the hybrid strength programs (70s Big, GSLP, 5/3/1, CF/conjugate) that includes heavy barbell lifting 2-4 days per week, then add in intelligently programming CF-style conditioning workouts 2-4 days a week as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Why doesn't CFFB work for you?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Best way I have found is to go above Rx weight on 1 WOD/week. This will allow you to work in strength without changing programming too much.

i.e. A couple examples from recent mainsite WODs:

120102:
Fran, go 21-15-9 105# thruster, pull-ups or maybe 15-12-9 125# thruster weighted pull-ups.

Tuesday 111227:
three rounds for time of:
155 pound Deadlift, 9 reps
155 pound Hang power snatch, 6 reps
155 pound Overhead squat, 3 reps

Wednesday 111221: 21-15-9 reps for time of: 155 pound Clean, GHD sit-up

I used to do the Wendler 5/3/1 along with CrossFit and it was just too much planning to ensure I wasn't over training...personally, I prefer for all of my programming to be done for me. Since I am willing to sacrifice some metcon training for strength work, this method works well for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Increasing the weight in a metcon doesn't magically make it strength work. It's still a metcon, albeit a slightly heavier one.

If you want to get stronger, you need to be squatting, deadlifting, cleaning, pressing, and benching in the 1-5 rep range several days per week. Strength work is not done "for time," it's done for maximum weight you can handle for a given number of reps. There's really no way around that fact.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Matt McCulloch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Shauger View Post
I've been crossfitting for at least 3 years on and off now. I generally crossfit for a few months then kinda migrate back to a more traditional bodybuilding work out. I like crossfit due to the cardio component but sometimes think it needs more core bodybuilding lifts. Also sometimes the wod is a little too brief. Has anybody come up with a way to add in bodybuilding lifts with out messing up the programming of crossfit? I've seen crossfit football and done some of the wod's there but it's not quite what I want. I've also tried adding a strength component before the wod. The only problem is I need to stay a week behind the published crossfit wod to make sure I am not training the same body part twice in a row.
I'm in similar situation. I stay a week behind and try to add in strength training as necessary to complement the WODs. Haven't tried CFFB before, though.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Strength work is not done "for time,"
This this and this again. I say it to my clients all the time. If it isn't heavy enough, then it isn't Strength training. If your heart is in your throat and your body is screaming "just breathe", then your breathing is not in control. If your breathing is not under control then you cannot focus your breathing where it needs to be on a deadlift or a squat (to brace your core). If you can still deadlift or squat properly, regardless of what is going on with your breath, then you aren't lifting heavy enough. If you aren't lifting heavy enough, then it isn't strength training. If your.........
Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Increasing the weight in a metcon doesn't magically make it strength work. It's still a metcon, albeit a slightly heavier one.

If you want to get stronger, you need to be squatting, deadlifting, cleaning, pressing, and benching in the 1-5 rep range several days per week. Strength work is not done "for time," it's done for maximum weight you can handle for a given number of reps. There's really no way around that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
This this and this again. I say it to my clients all the time. If it isn't heavy enough, then it isn't Strength training. If your heart is in your throat and your body is screaming "just breathe", then your breathing is not in control. If your breathing is not under control then you cannot focus your breathing where it needs to be on a deadlift or a squat (to brace your core). If you can still deadlift or squat properly, regardless of what is going on with your breath, then you aren't lifting heavy enough. If you aren't lifting heavy enough, then it isn't strength training. If your.........
Call it what you want, 'strength work' or 'for time' but if you go heavy enough it will be strength training. And that was my point exactly, GO HEAVY during 1 WOD/week. Just because it says 'for time' doesn't mean it you have to go as fast as possible (or that you even can go as fast as possible). If it is heavy, the weight will limit you and you will be forced to rest and focus on form (just like during a strength WOD - #-#-# .)

So, by going heavy on one WOD per week, you will be changing the priority/focus of the workout thus taking a once metcon WOD and turning it into a strength training WOD.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Or you could do like all intelligent strength and conditioning programs do, and use strength work to get stronger and metcons to get better-conditioned. I don't expect my metcons to get my stronger and I don't expect my strength work to improve my conditioning.

A heavy Fran is still a metcon, and using a weight that only allows you to get 3 thrusters at a time just means that it's a poor metcon. You'd be much better served by doing a 3x3 front squat or thruster followed by Fran at a weight that allows you to complete the workout in 4-6 minutes.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Call it what you want, 'strength work' or 'for time' but if you go heavy enough it will be strength training. And that was my point exactly, GO HEAVY during 1 WOD/week. Just because it says 'for time' doesn't mean it you have to go as fast as possible (or that you even can go as fast as possible). If it is heavy, the weight will limit you and you will be forced to rest and focus on form (just like during a strength WOD - #-#-# .)
Or, you'll pick an in-between weight, try to go fast when you really shouldn't, and either hurt yourself or be too sore to train for a week.

Fran is 45 thrusters. A typical strength workout might be something like 5x5 squats. I'll bet I can move a lot more weight with a lot better form for 25 reps than I can for 45. And be in much better shape to train the next day.

Katherine