CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Ok, I know Larry L. recommends a half volume week and an enitre week off every 12 weeks. Is that what everyone is doing ? If so why not include it in the getting started portion of the Crossfit homepage ?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness. (Typo fixing ...no extra charge!)
Old 12-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Thanks Lynne.:wink:
Old 12-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

My job basically jumps up and ruins my life at least 2 or 3 times/year (at semi-predictable intervals). These periods of very high intensity job requirement (i.e., 90 hours / week for 4 - 6 weeks) pretty much guarantee me a layoff (or, at least, a very significant scaleback) from CrossFit.

(I'd quit the job, but (a) I like the money, and (b) most other jobs in my profession are equally bad with respect to hours required.)

Given that I know with high confidence that a period of no workouts is waiting for me (somewhere), I tend to go very hard when I can, and miss as few workouts as possible. I try to get 6 days / week in, and at least 5, while I can.

Right now, I've had almost 6 weeks of steady training (love it) . . . but between late August and early November, I probably only had 8 or 9 good workouts in 10 weeks.

So, in effect, I get Larry's downtime (too much, in fact), without the careful planning.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Interesting, I'd still like to see what others have to say on this. Hey David you work out with the Crossfit NYC gang on occasion right ? I think i've seen your posting on there website. I've only been to one X-FIT NYC WOD, it was cool ( I can usually only workout real early in the AM). If you guys ever really get it off the ground though I'll try to be part of it.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 AM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I generally take a half volume week every 4-5 weeks and have a 4-5 day break every couple of months, normally when i'm too busy training other people.

I just find that if i don't then i tend to get hurt and things like my cruddy knee catch up with me.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Joseph:

Yes, I try to join them when I can. I live about 50 miles west of NYC, so it's a bit of a haul to get in for the workout . . . usually only do Sunday morning(s), and haven't even been able to do that since summer.

Hope we can meet in person in the the New Year!

I also hope others post here on your original question; I'm curious how people manage this issue.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Baron Dorff

Profile:
Just took my first week off from xfitting. I've been at it about 18 weeks now. I was having what I think was tendonitis in both shoulders, and in a forearm. Took a break to let them cool off.

I don't know it it's helpful to others, but it's been good for me. I laid out for two of the three day work periods and just did 5k rows.

I think the intensity of the training can cause fatigue that needs a bit more recovery from time to time. Might just be 'cause I'm in my mid-forties and a bit slower to heal than once I was. I find that afte the first couple months of training that my recovery times have improved significantly as my body adapts to the work load.

I've also been taking an occasional day off every third week or so as fatigue builds... again, less now that that I've been at it for a while.

I think your best bet is to listen to what you're body is telling you. If the WOD is getting to be a grind, or you find yourself dreading the workout rather than looking forward to it, it might be time for short break.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
If I get off my a$$, I am going to write a CF Journal article about this! I got about 3/4 of the article completed and...lost it! That sort of threw me for a loop. In short, if you are doing the wod's all out 3/1 IMO, you should be taking rest weeks and half volume weeks. On the other hand if, like David, due to work volume or other pesky life issues, you cannot do the WOD as RXed every day...you probably don't need the half volume or rest weeks. There are other reasons to use half volume workouts: Sickness, coming back from extended time off or injuries, etc. I'll start re-working the article ater the holidays.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
This is a great thread, and I too have too much experience with forced layoffs and missing a true 3/1 schedule. I hope I'm not turning into a "Crossfit weekend warrior", but work and new baby have been messing with a stable schedule. Weather has also wrecked havoc, since I do some of the workouts outdoors. I'm with Larry, that you may not need a reduced volume week as part of a schedule if you have lots of forced breaks. These breaks make me lose out though, and certain exercises suffer if I don't do them really frequently (running and pullups specifically), so I'm probably at about 75% of what I could be doing with a better schedule.