CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Tim Luby

Profile:
Maximizing a rest week

Hey all,
I'm begrudingly taking a rest week starting tomorrow and I figure I might as well take advantage of it.

Since I don't have workouts to think about, I've decided to put a special focus on improving my diet and flexibility. If figure this is a way I can potentially improve my fitness level while giving my body its much needed rest.

Anyone have some other rest week tips? A big concern of mine is how to minimize weight gain during this time. Does anyone here alter there diet dramatically (besides not having pre- and post-workout food)?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Maximizing a rest week

Still do exercise to keep the blood flowing to speed up healing. Play a couple of sports if you wanted to do something like pickup basketball or something. Jog if you so desire. Whatever.

Flexibility is good regardless if it was a rest week or not. Try to work on stuff you are bad at or things that need work. Usually thoracic/overhead/shoulder mobility as well as hips/ankles are good ones to work on.

As far as diet if you don't want to gain any weight you're going to scale back maybe a few hundred cals since the activity factor isn't as high as when you're working out (unless you're playing aforementioned sports or jogging or something).
Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Steven Anderson

Profile:

I hate rest days/periods or what have you. I live in Jacksonville, Fl and recently went to Maryland over the holidays for four days and spent all of it in complete inactivity except for walking and sightseeing in the nation's capital (obviously nothing intense). Needless to say I came back home on the 30th of Dec. and tore it up for 5 straight days and felt great. I also just came back home tonight from spending the weekend in Miami. I left Friday after a good workout and again, spent Sat. and Sun. (today) in compete inactivity. I'm itching for a good sweat. I really only rest when my body tells me too. If I was scheduling a rest day and I wake up feeling ridiculously energized, I'll skip the rest and put in a good workout. However, I'll will say, for the most part I zoned in Maryland and felt great the whole trip and after. I zoned a little in Miami over the weekend but ate a little too much sugar and drank a little too much ETOH! I'll get back on track on tomorrow. Hey, speaking of the weekend and me being from Jacksonville, how bout' them JAGUARS!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

If you were in DC you should've dropped by CFDC or Primal Fitness and done a workout with them. Whenever you're going for a trip whether business or pleasure most CF gyms would love to have you drop by..

As for the Jags.. here's to hoping they beat the Pats!