CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Do you eat the fat of your animal?

I have started eating pork as i realised i need to get variation in my protein sources, and i eat the fat off it.

Good, bad, or doesn't matter?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Do you eat the fat of your animal?

If you are eating pastured pork (primarily grass diet with no added grain), then eating the fat might be reasonable because of improved Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio and low level of contaminants, within reason. If eating typical factory-farmed, grain-fed, antibiotic-laced pork, I'd avoid it like the plague, both the fat and the flesh.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Since reading THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA, I'm committed to avoiding meat that isn't grassfed and hormone and antibiotic-free.

Even so, saturated fat is saturated fat, and I trim whatever visible fat there is. There's plenty of fat within the lean muscle tissue.

Susie
Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Win Featherston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
Since reading THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA, I'm committed to avoiding meat that isn't grassfed and hormone and antibiotic-free.

Even so, saturated fat is saturated fat, and I trim whatever visible fat there is. There's plenty of fat within the lean muscle tissue.

Susie
I just got THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA and can't wait to start reading it.

I also try to trim most of the visible fat from meat, but I have to say pork fat is delicious - especially compared to other animal fats.

BTW - aren't pigs omnivores themselves? Is there such a thing as grass fed pork?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
James Reynolds

Profile:

Gross, no way... my dog gets the fat if the meat I cook/grill has any visible!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:

If the fat isn't grassfed/pastured/wild, eat as little of it as possible. If you do end up eating a lot of it, make sure you're taking your fish oil.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Featherston View Post
I just got THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA and can't wait to start reading it.

I also try to trim most of the visible fat from meat, but I have to say pork fat is delicious - especially compared to other animal fats.

BTW - aren't pigs omnivores themselves? Is there such a thing as grass fed pork?
Oh, I wasn't thinking of pigs when I was talking about animal fat, I don't eat pork. Pigs eat a lot of things, but I don't think grass is one of them. But what do I know? I'm a retailer's daughter...

I think the author is a brilliant writer. Fascinating book: economics, anthropology, botany, ecology, human physiology...he's such a complex thinker he puts it all together as it pertains to human feeding habits.

Susie
Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Susie--

You might not eat swine, but don't topple into the hog lot, because the swine will eat you. Folks from hog country tell tales, and I can think of at least one novel and one movie in which the villain disposes of corpses by feeding them to the pigs.

Pig owners tell me hogs are intelligent, far more so than, say, horses. They were useful on the traditional family farm because they would eat the leftovers. In nature and the small farm there is no such thing as waste. As I recall, Orville Schell's wonderful book "Modern Meat: Antibiotics, Hormones and the Pharmaceutical Farm" is excellent on the complementary relationship of garbage and hogs.

If I'm not mistaken, hogs are far more efficient than cattle in converting grain to protein, although all our meat animals have a miserable time of it in today's confinement operations.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

Pigs don't have to eat grass to be good. I live near a guy who feeds his pork pigs veggies, flax, and a lot of oregano. That's it, no grains and sells the meat and it is GOOD.

True most pigs will eat anything, but there is pork out there that isn't too bad.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

I was in Spain many moons ago and had some pork and pork products ( jamon, chorizo) from free range pigs fed on acorns. Unbelievably tasty. Hard to find and expensive though