CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-26-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
I came across this article. I guess nothing suprises me anymore.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...042501320.html
Old 04-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I saw this too. Anything to be thin. Except workout and eat properly.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
Eric Moffit

Profile:
its funny that you say that, Beth, what with all the crap i get for following the Zone. people say im "crazy" while these type of people are willing to risk all the side effects of an illegal drug to stay trim rather than simply changing the way they eat. i dont seem to remember increased chance of heart disease or the like as a side effect of the Zone...in fact id say the Zone is one of the few things where the side effects would actually make you want to start doing it.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Yup...saw that article yesterday and cringed.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Is it too late to be the first to call BS? Seven percent of middle school girls? Puh-leez. Seven percent of high school boys, *maybe*. One in fourteen eleven year old girls? No.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Brian,
Concur.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
The percentages do seem a bit high. I would question most of what teenagers say in a survey, especially if they didn't care about the results.

The stupid part about 'juicin' to look good is the following quote:

"In teenage girls, the side effects from taking male sex hormones can include severe acne, smaller breasts, deeper voice, irregular periods, excess facial and body hair, depression, paranoia and the fits of anger dubbed "roid rage." Steroids also carry higher risks of heart attack, stroke and some forms of cancer."

ewwww
Old 04-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
** The following post is not for young eyes **

I'm not sure how quick we should be to dismiss this. Sample size, etc. are all left out of the news article, so there's no way to look at the validity of the study (without digging...and since I'm making dinner I'm not going to do that right now).

Having coached high school athletes fairly recently...yes, girls too...I'm not ready to laugh this off. We're talking about a group of people (middle/high school students) who don't consider oral or anal sex to actually be "sex" according to recent studies. Kids are engaging in riskier and riskier behaviours.

I'm not going to run around shouting from the rooftops that young girls are doped to the gills on anabolics...but I won't ignore the warning.

EDIT

It's worth noting that a closer examination of the article in question doesn't say that 5-7% of girls are actually using steroids...it says that 5-7% have tried them. Given the "anything goes" attitude I see displayed by that age group on a regular basis, I don't have much trouble believing that.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
Brian Hand

Profile:

Matt, you have a point, but I see some red flags here. It actually says that "up to" 5-7% have tried them. Why would they give a range? Because they didn't have a calculator handy to do the long division? Or because they were guessing? Why "up to"? I once went to a furniture store that advertised "up to" 70% off on everything in the store. The sale was a little disappointing.

If anyone is inclined to look into this, look into the source a bit, Charles Yesalis.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
"Up to"...polling error?