CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Jim Schoenberg

Profile:
Resting Mid WOD

Question for the overall community:

*As a post script I asked this very question to Josh Everett late last year but I hear so many different opinions on it I wanted to address the larger community.

If an athlete is mid-WOD, either in a rep-set or set-switch and they gas out, do you encourage the athlete to "get on the bar, get off the floor, just do it" (fill in the blank with your kick-*** encouragement statement) or do you let them fill the tank so they can confidently approach the next grouping?

One athlete, 2 scenarios. In the middle of a WOD this athlete cannot go unbroken on a high rep set of 135# push press. The athlete takes a break and racks the bar, extremely fatigued and struggling. As an individual, they know if they attempt to pick up that bar (as the coach is encouraging them to do) it will just not move off the rack. The athlete decides to take an extra 10-15 seconds, resets, and presses out 4 more reps unbroken. Then repeats. Each time, doing 4 unbroken with a 10-15 second gap to reset.

Aside from knowing the athlete's individual preferences and style, is there more "bang for the buck" to have an athlete completely gas out where they are down to doing just 1 rep at a time or is it better to give that athlete the extra time they need to reset before continuing on? So that's my question under the 2 scenarios: A) Press that athlete until they drop the bar, collapse or can barely get 1 rep per attempt or 2) Allow that athlete time to reset knowing they can get a few in a row if they take just a little extra time.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Resting Mid WOD

Definitely allow them to reset.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What training goal would you hope to accomplish by pushing them to complete failure?

Their total time will probably be lower if they take the extra rest time. Pacing is an important part of any but the very shortest workouts.

Katherine
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schoenberg View Post
Press that athlete until they drop the bar, collapse or can barely get 1 rep per attempt
that's a good way to increase the chances of injuring your clients.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

What did Josh Everett say?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

With my clients and even myself, I find the three deep breathes works the best. Tell them to step back if they gas out, take three deep breathes and get back on the bar. Rest, but manage your rest efficiently.

And what did Josh Everett say?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Jim Schoenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
With my clients and even myself, I find the three deep breathes works the best. Tell them to step back if they gas out, take three deep breathes and get back on the bar. Rest, but manage your rest efficiently.

And what did Josh Everett say?
To my surprise, Josh said "do whatever gets the job done faster." In summary he stated it is based on individual preferences and tendencies and there is no prescription for wrong or right. I personally thought that to improve overall work capacity, pushing the limit was key and we should, as trainers, get people moving when they are at their very end. But, if that is counter-productive then it goes against moving large loads quickly as their overall time would be slower if they could only do one rep at a time. We had this talk after Fran where we were looking at people doing thrusters one at a time. It was clear to us that every athlete doing one rep at a time of a thruster was wasting an incredible amount of energy because they'd have to basically squat clean and thrust vs. just thrust during the Fran. It was more efficient to take the extra time and obtain more unbroken reps. And, any lift beyond bodyweight this becomes (as others stated) a serious concern for injury. If you fail repeatedly on a HSPU, it is not that big of a deal. If you fail repeatedly on a front squat, you are really setting yourself up for injury.

Thanks for all the feedback. We coach our athletes based on our knowledge of their physical and psychological tolerances when it comes to an athlete being at their breaking point of a WOD. We do nothing to encourage injury. If an athlete is trying really hard to finish "Moon" but has nothing left, we are not going to scream at them to "get back on the rope climb" when there is a greater chance of them falling. But like Josh said, “do whatever gets the job done faster.”
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

It sort of depends on the programming of the workout. We sometimes are told ahead of time that the goal is to do all reps unbroken and to go light enough to do so - these are typically both short and light (21-15-9s most likely); others it is intended to go somewhat heavy or longer and with those ones we get "break it up into manageable sets". Usually, for any actual metcon, if you are down to singles before the end, you've probably not scaled appropriately as far as my gyms programming.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
if you are down to singles before the end, you've probably not scaled appropriately as far as my gyms programming.
I personally feel like this is good programming advice in general and should be done more often. If it's taking upwards of 10 minutes to finish Fran then you are now outside the scope of what that workout is trying to accomplish. You would be much better served scaling to something that will get you closer to 5 minutes or less and work on strength elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Steve Bray

Profile:

in training you would give them a break, unless you just think theyre being soft. if its in competition you make them get back to the task at hand.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|