CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Andrew Jason Dorrel

Profile:
High School Football conditioning

Fthe past 11 years I have been the head football coach at Culver Military Academy, a private boarding high school of about 800 in Northern IN. Like most high school football programs we run an offseason weightlifting program. For the most part our program is based off of the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program with a combination of the Nebraska Pyramid for core lifts. I believe we need a more functional and intense lifting routine and Crossfit was recommended by a former player. Do you think Crossfit is appropriate for high school athletes and if so do you have any information available that I could review? I would like to introduce Crossfit workouts when our students return from holiday break.

Best Regards, Andy
Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Steven Bowser

Profile:
Re: High School Football conditioning

Performance Menu . com

with some blistering short Met Con workouts after would be a good thing.

Just cruise thru all the Affiliate Sites and use your imagination.

Not to mention the HQ Wods.

I wish I did CrossFit WODs in High School.

Thats awesome that you have an open mind.

Our Coach just made us do Sprints for hours at a time and when it was game time we were all so sore no one could play 100%. CrossFit will give them quicker recovery along with more Strength and Cond.

Good choice Coach.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:

You may have thought that CrossFit Kids is just for little kids..
but it applies to kids, pre teens and teens until the time they are ready for
the main page WOD's.

CrossFitKids.com has a scaled daily WOD posted each day.
The Big Dawgs version is very appropriate for seasoned Teenage CrossFitters.
The Pack more appropriate for an introduction to athletic Teens.
(Click on the white dawgs icon for more info on the scaling)

The CrossFit Kids Magazine has special sections adressed specifically to Teens and sports specific pursuits- within the past year published an article about a High School Football Coach in Joshua Springs using CrossFit with his team.

Personally, we have two teen age sons who have been CrossFitters for over four years and have a pool of a few dozen teenagers at various ages and capacity working out with us. CrossFit is a potent variable to apply to a growing child or teen- the results have been and will continue to be awe inspiring.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Scott Borre

Profile:

I recommend contacting CrossFit HQ.

IMO CrossFit is fine as a GPP for offseason. But I don't think its everything for every position. It might not have enough lifting as you'd desire. But with proper programming I think it could help you all out.

I also strongly recommend that you talk to Dan John. He has a lot of good information and practical experience when it comes to being a S&C coach for a dominant high school football team. He'll also be able to provide you with a more balanced opinion when it comes to using CF (since he's not affiliated with CF anymore, but knows a lot about it).
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Andrew,

Although it seems from threads like these that we have a tough time getting our message out, we have a lot of experience working with high school kids. CrossFit Kids is linked straight from the CrossFit main page and was created at the direction of CrossFit HQ.

We had two kids weighing less than 150 #'s who completed the workouts at the 2008 CrossFit Games. Something many adult men were not capable of. We have a great deal of experience working with kids and sports specific training.

I guess kids that can push press 1.5 times their bodyweight and squat over twice their bodyweight and have a 2:30 Fran are a dime a dozen.

Regarding Football and CrossFit a quote from one of our young clients "I can hardly wait for football to get over so I can get back to CrossFit and get in shape"