CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Chris Charger

Profile:
Crossfit For High School Football

I am a high school football coach, and a newbie to CrossFit. I am super-intrigued by Crossfit, and I am curious how to best implement it into our offseason conditioning program. I am not a big weight room guy as I believe much more goes into being a football player. I'd like to be more creative and innovative than just core lifts/agility drills. Any ideas on how to best use CrossFit and mesh it succesfully with core lifts? Is it possible to eliminate power lifts altogether? Thanks for your help ahead of time.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
David Miller

Profile:
Re: Crossfit For High School Football

As a former football player I really wish that I would have been aware of CF during my playing days. I've wondered how I would have tried to implement it into my training program and have come to the conclusion that CF is perfect for the skilled positions. I played quarterback and am pretty sure that CF alone would have been more than enough of a program for me. However, when you start looking lineman, i really don't think CF is enough. I think lineman could really benefit from using CF as a supplement to power lifting and that you could really improve their explosiveness and quickness from implementing CF. It's all about finding the happy medium...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Chris Charger

Profile:

So you think that it is possible to find the right blend to power lifting and CrossFit. In my limited exposure to it, there seems to be a negative view of powerlifting in the CrossFit community. In fact, there seems to be a negative view of football in general from CrossFitters. Just a newbie's perspective.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
David Miller

Profile:

I don't really think I've seen much negativity towards football in the CF community, or really any at all. As far as being against powerlifting, check out some of Mark Rippetoe's stuff if you haven't already. I think a blend of Starting Strength and CrossFit would probably be very beneficial for some of your guys, but you're going to have to get kind of personalized with them at least by position. Search the threads and you'll find a lot of answers you're looking for.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Charger View Post
I am a high school football coach, and a newbie to CrossFit. I am super-intrigued by Crossfit, and I am curious how to best implement it into our offseason conditioning program. I am not a big weight room guy as I believe much more goes into being a football player. I'd like to be more creative and innovative than just core lifts/agility drills. Any ideas on how to best use CrossFit and mesh it succesfully with core lifts? Is it possible to eliminate power lifts altogether? Thanks for your help ahead of time.
Look into Starting Strength by Riptoe and Kilgore http://www.****************.com/ . A periodized hybrid of this and CF would be just fine for kids. I'd actuall like to see the results of this versus standard high school history teacher weight training.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
JT

Profile:

I agree. SS would be great. Also might want to look into Practical Programming for Strength Training. Both by Rippetoe and Kilgore.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I would say performancemenu.com (w/fs would be a good place to look. It's a combination of O-lifts, power lifts and metcon. Anything by Rippetoe is a good idea as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:

May 2008 edition of the Crossfit Kids Magazine has an article by a junior high school football coach.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #9
Chris Charger

Profile:

This is really great stuff, guys. Thanks. Do you think it is best to do CF everyday and alternate between CF days and heavy lifting days? Is high school teenagers considered kids in terms of CF? Would you suggest modifying WODs to make them "easier" for teenagers?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Chris, many of the CrossFit workouts will definately need to be individually scaled depending on the varying fitness levels of your athletes. I've found 4 days of mixing CrossFit and Strength/Power based workouts to be plenty without burning them out or turning their workouts into a chore. Variety is key as the younger guys have a tendency to quickly lose interest, focus, and motivation (if they're not seeing continued progress).

The CrossFit Journal and The CF Kids magazine are both great resources to help you get started and learn more about using CrossFit to take your athletes to the next level.