CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
All,

It's often the case that I can't do a WOD on a given day due to many reasons, but I usually try to make them up. And sometimes on a rest day I just randomly pick from prior WODs when my rest day doesn't line up with the website's rest day.

Question: If I take a year's worth of WODs, randomly order them, and do them in the resulting random order next year, will I have gotten the same benefit as if I had done them in the order they were presented on the website? What if I take a month's worth of WODs and repeat it 12 times in a year? Same benefit?

I guess the question is.. is there rhyme or reason to the order or content of the WODs selected by those that select them for the website? I am concerned that if I do my "favorites" too often I might be missing out on something.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Steve Serrano

Profile:
James,

A "basic" method of WOD selection is in CFJ #7; Feb 2003 - (Seniors & Kids; CrossFit Theoretical Template; Hoover Ball). The Theoretical Template article describes a fascinating mix of work outs in a way I won't even attempt to chip at here other than to quote "The template is engineered to allow for a wide and constantly varied stimulus, randomized within some parameters but still true to the aims and purposes of Crossfit consistent with the 'What is Fitness?' issue." It's a great read.

My view is I feel like I get a better "focused" body-hammering if I do the WODs in order. Even if I fall behind, I'll try and keep them in order until after about four or fives days when I can catch up to a rest day.

As you see with this and many military PT programs, sometimes the best/most-difficult part of an exercise is that you have to do it at someone else's pace or order.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
James
You will still get lots of benefits by doing the WODs in a different order or just doing a month of WODs and repeating it every month. HOWEVER, part of the Crossfit scheme is that it isn't a "routine." If you make it a routine, then you lose some of the random-ness. So your second idea is less favorable. Re-ordering the WODs is a less problematic idea, but why shuffle the deck again, if it's already been done? Furthermore, if you read CFJ 7, you'll see that there is some element of programing to the WOD order especially in the context of the 3 on 1 off scheme. Don't make more work than you have to.

That being said. I find that tinkering can be good if you are trying to work on a specific skill or weakness. For example my deadlift stinks...My form looks good, but I'm weak in that lift. So I try to sneak in some extra WODs that involve DLs or make up my own DL workouts. Although, I'm confident that following the WOD program exactly will give great results, it is currently impossible with my schedule...so I do what I can, when I can, with what I have. I don't stress over it. Just work hard.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
Keith:

Good points. I basically do that too.. sometimes I sub in a WOD that hits a weak point of mine when the prescribed WOD hits my strong points.

I wouldn't seriously do the one-month repeat program, my main question was: is there a method to the madness? I guess I should get CFJ 7 and find out.