CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #51
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:
Re: Poorman's Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmondson View Post
For my pvc rings I ran 3/4 braided poly rope through the rings, tied it off, and tied the excess into a loop, through which I ran the straps. So the rope is really just a coupler between the ring and strap.
I see. SO the rope is long enough to go through the ring and be knotted, plus a loop which the straps can be put into. I will go with the straps since they are adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmondson View Post
As for making the "half rings", I would strongly encourage you to give the teardrop shaped pvc rings a go. They're really easy and you'll have legitimate muscleup-worthy rings in an hour. Just make sure you pack the sand tightly.
Are these the tear drop shaped? http://www.troubleshooters.com/pool/...g_flex_pvc.jpg

Would I still need to heat these? I ask since you mention packing the sand tightly.

IF heating is the only way, is it possible to do this without sand and it be in ok shape? It would be one less thing I have to purchase as I don't have any.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #52
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

I just went back to the 1st thread in this post and see that the PVC pipe used was not heated.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #53
Jay Curtis

Profile:

Hi people,

I have filmed my attempt at making rings for people to have a look at if they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V8C-fOP5c4

I was not completely successful, encountering "kinking" issues due to various factors, but the end result is certainly usable - thanks to some quick drying kneadable putty!.

It was definitely an educational experience regardless.

peace

J
Old 03-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #54
Michael Oswald

Profile:

Thought I would add my comments to the thread. I made my rings yestersday, and they turned out great. 21" long 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe wrapped around a 5lb plate (approx OD 6.5") gave a final ring diameter of 7-3/4". I had packed them with sand and capped the ends with duck tape. Heated them in the oven @ 350 for 13 minutes and then, wearing oven mitts, held them around the weight for about 5 minutes. Voila! I can't believe it was so easy. To reiterate someone else's comment: definitely cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil before baking the pipe - the duct tape melts a little where it rests. Good luck!

Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #55
Jody Penrod

Profile:

I just finished my rings today and used a 26" long, 1" 40 PVC pipe, filled w/sand, 350 deg, 10 min, and your standard 1 gal paint can as the mold. I made them like a tear drop on the top and filed the edges to help prevent scraping along the upper fore arm. Then I took a 12' light duty lashing strap (Home Depot) and ran it thru the center, it holds me and I am 205#. With the buckle on the end it is very similiar to the Elite rings. For less than $20, I have the same piece equipment for a lot less. Thanks for all the tips! Time to go get some!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #56
Andrey Kovalenko

Profile:

Here is my take.

The task was a bit easier, as here you can by what they call COMPENSATION PIPE (example here) at 32μμ (1 inch) it's exactly what needed.

Another part i had used is crossover wide enough to be able to fit into the pipe of the ring part.

i had cut the straight "legs" of compensation pipe, leaving just the ring part. From crossover pipe i only needed the 1-2 inches of top of the rounded part, i have had cut that and made a hole in the top of it for the rope. Then pulled the rope through the ring as you can see on the diagram and have put it all together.

http://www.crossfit.ru/images/kolcas.jpg

Notice that the rope goes twice around inside the ring, this way when under the pressure (when the rope is pulled) it locks the ring together.

The result:

http://www.crossfit.ru/images/kolca.jpg

All under $10 and 2 hours of work.

Excuse my english.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #57
Doug Holland

Profile:

Andrey, that looks incredible! Nice job!

Doug
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #58
Andrey Kovalenko

Profile:

Thanks, Doug. i hope my explanation is clear enough.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #59
Andres Gordo

Profile:

I made my rings thanks to this thread thank you! Because I did not have money for the full cost ones this ones rock!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #60
Scott Carter

Profile:

Does anyone know if the "Compensation Pipe" can be found here in the US? I've googled it under that name and have been unable to find anything so far.