CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Richie Glanzer

Profile:
How long is your average WOD?

Hey guys...where I work out, our WOD's are typically anywhere 7-21 minutes. Most of the time they are intense short WOD's. And we have at least one strength day with little cardio.

I actually love this because I wouldn't want to go to a box with 30-40 min WOD's every day but it seems other places have those.

Just curious what else is out there...bc I have friends interested in crossfit and I kinda think my box is a little unique and most others do hero wods way more often.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: How long is your average WOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Glanzer View Post
Hey guys...where I work out, our WOD's are typically anywhere 7-21 minutes. Most of the time they are intense short WOD's. And we have at least one strength day with little cardio.

I actually love this because I wouldn't want to go to a box with 30-40 min WOD's every day but it seems other places have those.

Just curious what else is out there...bc I have friends interested in crossfit and I kinda think my box is a little unique and most others do hero wods way more often.
I don't go to a box but I would venture to say that the average WOD is about 5-15 minutes.....It also depends on what you are doing i.e. AMRAP, for time, AFAP or rounds/reps. Strength days should focus on strength with some assistance work. And, that can be in the form of a short metcon.
Each box is unique and the WODs/programming is dictated by the trainers/coaches. Their techniques come from where they trained and who trained them. So, if a trainer is strength biased, then expect more strength training. Same goes for the ones that like the short, cardio focused WODs. Boxes should have a variety and have balance.
Just my two cents.

Michael
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

My typical conditioning session is between 10 and 20 minutes long, sometimes shorter, but almost never longer.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
I don't go to a box but I would venture to say that the average WOD is about 5-15 minutes.....It also depends on what you are doing i.e. AMRAP, for time, AFAP or rounds/reps. Strength days should focus on strength with some assistance work. And, that can be in the form of a short metcon.
Each box is unique and the WODs/programming is dictated by the trainers/coaches. Their techniques come from where they trained and who trained them. So, if a trainer is strength biased, then expect more strength training. Same goes for the ones that like the short, cardio focused WODs. Boxes should have a variety and have balance.
Just my two cents.

Michael
My trainer(s) is/are great...I'm just more curious if my place is different from others. I would never leave where I am now unless I moved.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Typically 8-12 minutes. There are some exceptions though. I find if I go longer I start to take too many breaks. Not really any problem I've found in going shorter, but my affiliate programming doesn't seem to usually be much shorter.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Mine lasts usually about 3-8 hours depending on how many trips I decide to take between the fridge, couch, & bathroom...

5-18 minutes...
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

5-6 mins
Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

OK...glad to see others are like ours. I'm even a bit surprised ours is more than some of you guys.

I just was reading other boxes websites and talking to a friend who does a hero wod every day. that seemed excessive.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Glanzer View Post
OK...glad to see others are like ours. I'm even a bit surprised ours is more than some of you guys.

I just was reading other boxes websites and talking to a friend who does a hero wod every day. that seemed excessive.
Variation is Key. If you do a 45 minute hero WOD every day, your going to get darn good at 45 Minute hero WOD's and suck when you need to put out maximally for 3-5 minutes. Mix up your time domain. That's how you get the best results.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Page Johnson

Profile:

We usually mix up short, medium and long WODs, but our members seem to feel quite cheated if they don't have 30 + minute WODs most days.