CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #41
Joe C Thomas

Profile:
Re: Anyone have pics?

I don't know hardly anyone who got into CF in order to cut their Fran time. Hell, I didn't even know what Fran was! I started because it was intense, and ever changing. I think most people are looking for an aesthetic change in their body type, and I think that's ok. I mean you start out CFing to get fit. Then you find the whole world of competition within the community. I'm not gonna say that getting ripped is at the top of my fitness goals, but it's pretty freakin close!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #42
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

No one outside of CF cares about a Fran time. Bu thtey do care about how many pull ups and push ups you can do, what your 100, 400, mile and 5 k time is, how much you can bench, squat, deadlift and squat, what your weightlifting total is and how high you can jump.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #43
Sean Dunston

Profile:

let's not forget that CrossFit is first and foremost a fitness program.

Plain and simple: people come to CF to get fit.

Once they are here, then, maybe, performance on WODs takes on a new meaning.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #44
Jason Wilbarger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
No one outside of CF cares about a Fran time. Bu thtey do care about how many pull ups and push ups you can do, what your 100, 400, mile and 5 k time is, how much you can bench, squat, deadlift and squat, what your weightlifting total is and how high you can jump.
Really? I mean....really?

-J
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #45
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post

Come now, do you really believe this? When most Crossfitters are pictured shirtless? When the women wear tiny short-shorts, high socks, and push-up sports bras--and the sheer number of boob-shot, ***-shot, and whatever-shot photos there are of women on the front page? It can be the middle of the winter and Crossfitters will find a reason to be naked, whether it makes sense or not.

Let's be real here. When people visit Crossfit they don't see performance times. They see the half-naked people and they want to look like that.

If Crossfitters were interested solely in performance, many Crossfitters would be a good deal fatter (as being totally ripped is not conducive to performance gains), the women a good deal bigger (as they would actually be eating a good deal of food in order to gain strength), and a ridiculous hypocaloric diet like the Zone would not be the #1 recommended Crossfit diet.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #46
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
They see the half-naked people and they want to look like that.
Personally, I saw the things that Crossfitters could do and wanted to be able to do them too. Granted, I knew that I wouldn't be able to do them at a reasonably proficient level until I also looked like the half-naked people, but (for me personally), looking like (say) Khalipa was not a motivating factor for me.

- Mark
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #47
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
A large fraction of new Crossfitters -- presumably the audience for an affiliate's testimonial page -- don't even know what a deadlift or a weightlifting total *is.* If they do have any awareness of Olympic lifts at all, they picture the super heavyweights because those are the only ones who ever appear on TV. Hence the myth that lifting makes people bulky.

Katherine
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #48
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:

Then you need a new avatar photo.

Katherine
Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #49
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Come now, do you really believe this? When most Crossfitters are pictured shirtless? When the women wear tiny short-shorts, high socks, and push-up sports bras--and the sheer number of boob-shot, ***-shot, and whatever-shot photos there are of women on the front page? It can be the middle of the winter and Crossfitters will find a reason to be naked, whether it makes sense or not.
Maybe not everyone COMES to get fit, but I think people STAY because they get fit. There are much easier ways to get nice abs.

I wear tiny shorts, high socks and (non-push up) sports bras, and I walk around my house in bikinis in the middle of freaking winter. But, I'm just as proud of my calluses and bruises as I am proud of the rest of my body...because I EARNED all of it. And, my performace gains matter more than anything. I had zero pushups, zero pullups, and an 11:00 mile when I started CrossFit. After 6 months, I know I can do 60 pushups in a WOD, 45 pullups in a WOD, and run a sub 8:00 mile and a 1:24 400m sprint. I had never picked up a barbell before, but I know I can clean and jerk 110 lbs. That is what matters. And, even more, what matters is the mental strength I have gained...and no one can see that.

I've lost 37 lbs since April 1, and let me tell you, I've had more than one conversation about putting weight on in order to be stronger. I know plenty of CrossFit women who debate this. If appearance was everything, no one would even consider that...at least not any women. But, I've realized that my body is going to do what it is going to do. I'll eat clean and work my butt off, and however I look is fine with me. Because I look like a freaking ATHLETE.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #50
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:

Quote:
Come now, do you really believe this?
Yes. I do believe it, Emily.
What is inaccurate about the following statement?
Quote:
you followed with:
Quote:
When people visit Crossfit they don't see performance times. They see the half-naked people and they want to look like that.
They are seeing "fit" people in those pictures and they want to get fit, too, right? So they think - if I do CF, I might be able to look like that, too.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

How can you say they are not then coming to CF to get fit? I don't get it.

I also think this statement of yours is totally inaccurate:

Quote:
If Crossfitters were interested solely in performance, many Crossfitters would be a good deal fatter (as being totally ripped is not conducive to performance gains), the women a good deal bigger (as they would actually be eating a good deal of food in order to gain strength), and a ridiculous hypocaloric diet like the Zone would not be the #1 recommended Crossfit diet.
What? Please tell me which of the people competing at the 2009 CF Games were not totally ripped? Leaving aside all of the people who qualified and participated in this year's Games (because I think it is inarguable that the vast majority of them were in peak physical condition with very little body fat -- "ripped" is a good description), I can give my own testimonial.

When I got to CF I was 36 years old, lazy, and just shy of 200 pounds. My performance gains came slowly in the beginning, but once I dialed in my diet (Zone, mostly Paleo), I leaned out significantly -- from over 23% BF to hovering at 10%, and my weight hovered between 158 and 162#. At that time, my performance on all WODs went through the roof. I'm not saying I was "totally ripped" as you describe it -- but I wasn't showing much chubbiness anymore either.