CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #41
Joe C Thomas
Member Joe C Thomas is offline
 
Joe C Thomas's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spanish Fort  AL
Posts: 1,071
Re: Anyone have pics?

I don't know hardly anyone who got into CF in order to cut their Fran time. Hell, I didn't even know what Fran was! I started because it was intense, and ever changing. I think most people are looking for an aesthetic change in their body type, and I think that's ok. I mean you start out CFing to get fit. Then you find the whole world of competition within the community. I'm not gonna say that getting ripped is at the top of my fitness goals, but it's pretty freakin close!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #42
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Anyone have pics?

No one outside of CF cares about a Fran time. Bu thtey do care about how many pull ups and push ups you can do, what your 100, 400, mile and 5 k time is, how much you can bench, squat, deadlift and squat, what your weightlifting total is and how high you can jump.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #43
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Anyone have pics?

let's not forget that CrossFit is first and foremost a fitness program.

Plain and simple: people come to CF to get fit.

Once they are here, then, maybe, performance on WODs takes on a new meaning.
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #44
Jason Wilbarger
Member Jason Wilbarger is offline
 
Jason Wilbarger's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon  OH
Posts: 62
Re: Anyone have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
No one outside of CF cares about a Fran time. Bu thtey do care about how many pull ups and push ups you can do, what your 100, 400, mile and 5 k time is, how much you can bench, squat, deadlift and squat, what your weightlifting total is and how high you can jump.
Really? I mean....really?

-J
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #45
Emily Mattes
Member Emily Mattes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 1,015
Re: Anyone have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
let's not forget that CrossFit is first and foremost a fitness program.

Plain and simple: people come to CF to get fit.

Once they are here, then, maybe, performance on WODs takes on a new meaning.
Come now, do you really believe this? When most Crossfitters are pictured shirtless? When the women wear tiny short-shorts, high socks, and push-up sports bras--and the sheer number of boob-shot, ***-shot, and whatever-shot photos there are of women on the front page? It can be the middle of the winter and Crossfitters will find a reason to be naked, whether it makes sense or not.

Let's be real here. When people visit Crossfit they don't see performance times. They see the half-naked people and they want to look like that.

If Crossfitters were interested solely in performance, many Crossfitters would be a good deal fatter (as being totally ripped is not conducive to performance gains), the women a good deal bigger (as they would actually be eating a good deal of food in order to gain strength), and a ridiculous hypocaloric diet like the Zone would not be the #1 recommended Crossfit diet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #46
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Anyone have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
They see the half-naked people and they want to look like that.
Personally, I saw the things that Crossfitters could do and wanted to be able to do them too. Granted, I knew that I wouldn't be able to do them at a reasonably proficient level until I also looked like the half-naked people, but (for me personally), looking like (say) Khalipa was not a motivating factor for me.

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #47
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Anyone have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
No one outside of CF cares about a Fran time. Bu thtey do care about how many pull ups and push ups you can do, what your 100, 400, mile and 5 k time is, how much you can bench, squat, deadlift and squat, what your weightlifting total is and how high you can jump.
A large fraction of new Crossfitters -- presumably the audience for an affiliate's testimonial page -- don't even know what a deadlift or a weightlifting total *is.* If they do have any awareness of Olympic lifts at all, they picture the super heavyweights because those are the only ones who ever appear on TV. Hence the myth that lifting makes people bulky.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #48
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Anyone have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
let's not forget that CrossFit is first and foremost a fitness program.

Plain and simple: people come to CF to get fit.
Then you need a new avatar photo.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #49
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Anyone have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Come now, do you really believe this? When most Crossfitters are pictured shirtless? When the women wear tiny short-shorts, high socks, and push-up sports bras--and the sheer number of boob-shot, ***-shot, and whatever-shot photos there are of women on the front page? It can be the middle of the winter and Crossfitters will find a reason to be naked, whether it makes sense or not.
Maybe not everyone COMES to get fit, but I think people STAY because they get fit. There are much easier ways to get nice abs.

I wear tiny shorts, high socks and (non-push up) sports bras, and I walk around my house in bikinis in the middle of freaking winter. But, I'm just as proud of my calluses and bruises as I am proud of the rest of my body...because I EARNED all of it. And, my performace gains matter more than anything. I had zero pushups, zero pullups, and an 11:00 mile when I started CrossFit. After 6 months, I know I can do 60 pushups in a WOD, 45 pullups in a WOD, and run a sub 8:00 mile and a 1:24 400m sprint. I had never picked up a barbell before, but I know I can clean and jerk 110 lbs. That is what matters. And, even more, what matters is the mental strength I have gained...and no one can see that.

I've lost 37 lbs since April 1, and let me tell you, I've had more than one conversation about putting weight on in order to be stronger. I know plenty of CrossFit women who debate this. If appearance was everything, no one would even consider that...at least not any women. But, I've realized that my body is going to do what it is going to do. I'll eat clean and work my butt off, and however I look is fine with me. Because I look like a freaking ATHLETE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #50
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Anyone have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
let's not forget that CrossFit is first and foremost a fitness program.

Plain and simple: people come to CF to get fit.

Once they are here, then, maybe, performance on WODs takes on a new meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Come now, do you really believe this?
Yes. I do believe it, Emily.
What is inaccurate about the following statement?
Quote:
Plain and simple: people come to CF to get fit.
you followed with:
Quote:
When people visit Crossfit they don't see performance times. They see the half-naked people and they want to look like that.
They are seeing "fit" people in those pictures and they want to get fit, too, right? So they think - if I do CF, I might be able to look like that, too.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

How can you say they are not then coming to CF to get fit? I don't get it.

I also think this statement of yours is totally inaccurate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
If Crossfitters were interested solely in performance, many Crossfitters would be a good deal fatter (as being totally ripped is not conducive to performance gains), the women a good deal bigger (as they would actually be eating a good deal of food in order to gain strength), and a ridiculous hypocaloric diet like the Zone would not be the #1 recommended Crossfit diet.
What? Please tell me which of the people competing at the 2009 CF Games were not totally ripped? Leaving aside all of the people who qualified and participated in this year's Games (because I think it is inarguable that the vast majority of them were in peak physical condition with very little body fat -- "ripped" is a good description), I can give my own testimonial.

When I got to CF I was 36 years old, lazy, and just shy of 200 pounds. My performance gains came slowly in the beginning, but once I dialed in my diet (Zone, mostly Paleo), I leaned out significantly -- from over 23% BF to hovering at 10%, and my weight hovered between 158 and 162#. At that time, my performance on all WODs went through the roof. I'm not saying I was "totally ripped" as you describe it -- but I wasn't showing much chubbiness anymore either.
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Done Got Old (with pics) Terry Dickman Testimonials 18 05-02-2009 03:37 PM
Down 52# in 6 months... (w/ pics) Brian Doll Testimonials 12 03-30-2009 10:32 PM
Before and after pics Sean Dunston Testimonials 19 07-16-2008 11:46 AM
Where and how to post before and after pics Kevin Kaeating Starting 1 08-02-2006 12:21 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.