CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Terry Dickman

Profile:
Done Got Old (with pics)

You don’t see a lot of posts by the older folks on the discussion board. Not sure if it’s the fact there are not many older CrossFitters out there or what…oh well regardless…here is a testimonial from an old man (btw, I don’t feel old..just thought I would say old man)

I am 51 and have been CrossFitting for almost 4 months now. I started around Christmas 2008, just looking for a way to get back in shape. I used to consider myself somewhat athletic, but for the last several years I had become sedentary…mostly consumed by work (owning my own business). We closed our business in November due to the economy and I went to work for someone else. Probably a blessing in disguise. Looking for a way to get back in to shape I discovered CrossFit through a friend of a friend. Previous to CrossFit my typical routine would be to run a few miles and lift weights, alternating training days. I had done this in the past with limited success. Usually getting bored to death and quitting. I had always been a believer in high intensity training; I never liked long endurance stuff, specially the boring factor. That’s probably the main reason I love CrossFit. One other thing I love about CrossFit is the family atmosphere and the competitiveness. I belong to CrossFit Excel, a small affiliate in Central, CA. After 4 months I know I am hooked and there is no looking back. Everything in my life has improved since finding CrossFit… Flexibility, Strength, Endurance…not to mention my outlook on life.

I started Zone in January and have tweeked my new eating style into a Zone/Paleo, thanks to Robb Wolf. I have dropped about 25 lbs since I began. Check out the pdf attachments for pictures and stats.

I always attempt WODS RX’d (unless there is an exercise I can’t do with proper form) even if I know it will take me longer...like Murph, I enjoyed the hell out of that 59 minute pain fest. My theory…if you can’t run with the big dogs then don’t get off the porch. I take extreme joy in outperforming some one 20-30 years younger than me. I know they hate it too…I can always tell when I start passing them up during a WOD.

Some of my benchmarks;
Fran – 7:55 - Date 2/16/09 (looking for a sub 5 min next time)
Helen – 10:47 - Date 4/17/09 (missed the top gym rank by about 15 seconds, damn 22 year olds…next time I am not going to take that 5 second breath between exercises) previous times 15:09 on 1/24/09 and 12:12 on 3/2/09
Murph – 59:18 RX’d (with 20lb vest) - Date 3/18/09
DT – 20:08 RX’d - Date 4/15/09 (only one in our box to RX it, besides our trainers)
Danny – 3 full rounds, plus 4 box jumps RX’d - Date 4/18/09
CFT – 855 - Date 4/10/09 (280 lb back squat, 160 lb shoulder press, 415 lb dead lift)
You can check out all my benchmarks on my work out log, click the link on my signature it’s WFS.

My biggest weaknesses…Overhead squats (still working on them) and Running
I have attended the CrossFit Nutrition cert and I am signed up for my level 1 cert in Aromas in June.

My goals…own or co-own a CrossFit Affiliate and compete in a qualifier next year for the hell of it.

I recently started writing the weekly blog on Nutrition for our affiliate, check out my latest dated today. http://CrossFitexcel.typepad.com/my_...day-41909.html (WFS)

My favorite work out song? Done Got Old by Buddy Guy http://home.comcast.net/~tdickman/Done_Got_Old.wma (WFS). I love it because it so ironic. Besides, I am not a big fan of the music played on a few of WOD videos. I am an old AC/DC , Led Zep fan when it comes to WOD music though.
Cheers, Terry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf before.pdf (181.4 KB, 1478 views)
File Type: pdf before_during.pdf (354.0 KB, 1229 views)
Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Razvan Mircea

Profile:
Re: Done Got Old (with pics)

Good job buddy!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Wow- you look like a completely different guy, and the smile says it all!
Nice work.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

Terry-
ME TOO! Don't you just love it? Not much athletic ability here, and hadn't done much for years, but started Crossfit in October of 2007. Have bounced around various affiliates on the web and have had a riot. No affiliate with 30 minutes of me...which doesn't sound bad for those in the city, but in the sticks it seems like a ways (HAHA). I will be 52 in a couple of weeks, and am really in the best shape of my life. I eat better, feel better, everything better.
Now we (we have a group of us) have started the Crossfit Football workouts, and I think we will be doing those for awhile.
I too hate running...but do what I have to do.
Here's what I have:
Fran 6:49
Helen 12:34
Cindy 22
CF Total 875
Terry, keep up the good work! You really look forward to it, don't you?
Yeah, I haven't had the guts to put my picture up...just shave your head and put it up for me!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Good job. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Way to go man!

I'm terrible at OHS too, work them into your daily warm-up. I'm up to 95lbs x 15 or so and exstatic!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Great work, Terry! That's inspiring stuff!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Well done!

I'm just a youngster at 42...I hope to be doing half as well as you in 10 or so years.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Whitney View Post
Terry, keep up the good work! You really look forward to it, don't you?
Thanks everyone for the props!

Yeah Rolf, I always look forward to it. The first 2 months I only did 4 days a week...3 on 1 off seemed to hard to recover for me at first. Now I do 5 days a week now. Thursday and Sundays are my rest days.

Brian, I typically do OHS with PVC in warm-ups. I have thought about adding some weight for warm ups too. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
Sydney Everhart

Profile:
Talking Re: Done Got Old (with pics)

Terry! Wow! You've done an awesome job. Way to smash through all of your goals. You're going to be a great CF owner/trainer, knowing what it takes to get there. Really, great work.