CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Jimi Miller

Profile:
press, push press, push jerk and weak wrists

This morning I quit today's WOD about half way through because my grip/wrists couldn't take it. Now I look back at the last time I did this workout and the same thing happened. I'm planning to hit the gym later tonight to finish off the workout but...

What could I do to try to improve so this doesn't happen next time? Flexibility practice? Likely I was using poor form? Any tips would be helpful from people that have run into this before. Right now the only thing I can think of is incorporating presses into my warmup (probably drop out pullups or dips for awhile), I'm not sure if high reps or high weight will help more though.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: press, push press, push jerk and weak wrists

Could possibly be a form issue where the bar is so far back in your fingers that its pulling on all those ligaments in your wrist. I see it commonly and don't know how people do it with the bar over their head and it so far in their fingers. I make a big point of keeping the bar over the wrist bones so it has a big strong surface to sit on at the top of the movement.

Watch (WFS): http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...PP3-PJ5WOD.wmv

Annie's elbows don't stay in the rack position on the shoulder press - which is what I think most people do and it causes the wrist problems.

Even on the push press and push jerk, notice where the bar is in her hand at the top, its evenly across the palm, not far back in the fingers (which is where all the wrist tension is caused).

I could be totally full of crap, but after doing the workout today with another guy and seeing him doing exactly this causing a fail in a couple instances it dawned on me.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I agree, it's likely the form issue George mentioned. My girlfriend has 6 screws and a plate in one wrist, yet after working through her form, this is one of her favorite WODs. We call it Shoulder Hell. Between her wrist, and my shoulder(s) pain, it was a major ***** at first, but we got used to it. I wouldn't add it to the WU just yet - there's plenty of other wrist-pounding fun in the prescribed WODs.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:

I had this same problem the first two times I did this WOD. Now I have no problems. I think the change is from improved flexibility as well as hand and forearm strength. Make sure you grip is correct as described in the above comments(see also starting strength and the Press videos on the main page). If it still hurts, work on flexibility, and rest assured your problem is common and goes away.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I agree with what's been said. I'll just add that once you have your form dialed in, if you are still getting stress in the wrists - wrap them - especially with high rep work. The wrist is a small joint with not much musculature supporting it. Being under a constant, heavy load will stress them.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Jason Lin

Profile:

Like George said, first check to see where the bar leaves its mark on your hand. If it is anywhere near the fingers, you are not holding it the bar correctly and the bar is bending your wrist. When that happens, it doesn't matter how strong/weak, flexible/inflexible your wrists are, it is going to hurt.