CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-16-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
I just did "Isabel" -- 30 reps at 65# -- and just could not get a full squat snatch.

Afterwards, I took my 15# bar and did a few at 35, 45 and 55. Somewhere around 55 my feet start landing too wide ... or something. But I can still do a full squat.

This seems strange because on cleans, the full squat comes fairly inevitably as weight increases. But the opposite occurs on snatches.

Any suggestions for what I should look at to fix this?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I'll defer to the real O-lifers on board for the mechanical reasons behind your observation, but I'll confess to the same "weakness" and hypothesize an explaination.

For me it happens on higher weight singles (185+) or late in high rep work (@ 15+ for Isabel). I think it has something to do with the "un-natural-ness" of the movement. While it may be mechanically efficient to pull a load up to chest level and duck under it with one's arms at full extension, it doesn't seem to mimic any real-world work that I've ever done.

If I have to get something over head I usually do it in more of a Clean and Jerk fashion, pull the load to chest level and press up. Be it sheets of drywall through a window or a dead deer on top of my SUV, I don't snatch it overhead then squat it up. That said, I'd be interested in a real-world application of the snatch movement if anyone has one, not a challenge, just curious.

It takes focused programming to teach the body to perform this "unnatural" movment at all, let alone at high weight or reps. While that programming may hold up in a less stressful scenario, in something mimicing a survival situation the body/mind will tend to default to the more natural, though less efficient movment, the power snatch.

But that analysis does nothing to address your real question, suggestions to fix it. In that regard it sounds to me like you're on the right track. Just keep programming. For several months I did moderately high rep (21/15/9) low weight (95#) snatch as part of my skills work after the WOD. I dropped it ~ Jan or Feb once I became satisfied with my "mastery" of the movement, but my performance on the recent Isabel indicates that I need more programming.

Good Luck
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Mike Burgener

Profile:
without seeing your lift but seeing this happen a ga-zillion times i would be that you are pulling too much with the arms and pulling way too long. the momentum on the bar is a by-product of a jump...creating comentum...once the momentum has been put on the bar....you pull your body down. most will engage the arms way too soon. as lyn jones use to say: "when the arms bend, the power ends!"
Old 05-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
Coach,
What are your favorite assistance exercises for teaching/learning the snatch.
I suffer from a similiar problem (feet landing a bit too wide).
I am also having some difficulty in attaining the correct amount of flexability in the shoulders and and then having enough stabilization to come up out of the bottom.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Mike Burgener

Profile:
what i call snatch lands.....hold the barbell overhead in a snatch grip position.....your feet are in a jumping position....now drop into a full sqt. your feet will be foreced to go into the landing position....about 2" outside the jumping position.....no dipping...just drop!! into that landing ohs position....works wonders.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
Thanks Coach!! :happy:
Old 05-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
Roger Smith

Profile:
Mr burgener, I'm experimenting with the snatch land but am still a bit confused. Do you lift your feet when you start the drop? If not, how do they move? Do you just use a bar or work up to weight on the bar?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
Mike Burgener

Profile:
start with pvc pipe to get the pattern down. your feet move from a feet under the hips(jumping stance) to the landing stance...feet about 2-3 inches outside the jumping position....the feet have to move out....very, very quickly....one has to really concentrate on the drop....no jump first....JUST DROP!!!