CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
Patrick Otis

Profile:
Re: Navy Times Crossfit article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
I forgot to mention in the first post: really nice work on the article, Brian.

The timing for me was uncanny. I had just taken my new XO to a WOD at the affiliate I run. I was sitting in for the CMC and just kind of dragged him off. Anyway, he did Cindy and was pretty much completely flabbergasted at it. The very next day that issue came out. He immediately directed the CFL to sketch out a plan for end of year money to cert a couple of trainers and buy some gear.

It's true what they say: luck is the juncture of opportunity and readiness.
Funny I just took my CO to the PDR here locally, to hear Coach Glassman, Mackenzie, Coach Maynard ........ he was blown away and wants equipment and more Certs now for our guys. This all came from the cindy wod the xo and I did.

Last edited by Patrick Otis : 08-16-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Otis View Post
Funny I just took my CO to the PDR here locally, to hear Coach Glassman, Mackenzie, Coach Maynard ........ he was blown away and wants equipment and more Certs now for our guys. This all came from the cindy wod the xo and I did.
Patrick (or anyone else),

Any insight on how a command might pay for an individual get a cert? Is it paid out of 7F or TAD funds or what? I'm seriously considering pursuing it once I get the heck out of Iraq and into my next command. Anyone?

Chris
Old 08-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Delgado View Post

Any insight on how a command might pay for an individual get a cert? Is it paid out of 7F or TAD funds or what? I'm seriously considering pursuing it once I get the heck out of Iraq and into my next command. Anyone?

Chris
Training funds for the Cert, Travel funds for the TAD if neccesary, at my L1 there were scads of people on orders. Lucky
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #24
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Delgado View Post

Chris
Check out this thread http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...aying+for+cert (w/f safe) for some insights.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
Mike Snyder

Profile:

Slim, I will tell you some other options for getting to the Cert on Monday at the next WOD. Keep resting up. We have out new barbells we are still breaking in and you need to be a part of it. This fire is spreading here on Slayer. It's amazing.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #26
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

I went to gym after my evening meeting tonight and did the main page WoD. I did the pullups on the gravitron with pretty heavy assistance to protect my ribs but everything else was as Rx. Ribs are feeling good and I think I will be ready very soon.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #27
Ryan Harth

Profile:  

There are a number of BCT's sending guys to level one certs. It is deffinately taking a grip on the BIG military. Even though most people still look at me like the lunatic who destroys himself at night in the gym, there are more and more people asking about "what I do in the gym" & "what exactly is crossfit". I think the article was great but ultimately people arent going take on a program like this en mass. It just hurts to much. Its fine with me though, I likie it small and scary to most.

Good job getting the word out Brian. Semper Fi.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #28
Travis Loest

Profile:

Any information on the Operation Phoenix thing? I was under the impression it was for the USMC only.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #29
Brian Thurmond

Profile:

Military Times is about to print a new column about ankle sprains and how you should keep working out with injuries. I forgot the title, but it is heinous. My name is on it, but it's not the one that I wrote. Yes some of the words are mine, but too much was changed.
I guess that they have some deadline problems and we did not have anytime to fix it after it had been through their editors. When a CrossFitter reads it they will probably be ****ed. I apologize ahead of time for when it comes out and those of you in who read your branch papers are embarrassed as I am embarrassed. The WOD's are wrong. The sub's are wrong. This one was supposed to be a pretty good one ( from my point of view) about Kelly Starret and injuries, then 3 WOD's with how to scale and sub it. If you would like a copy of the column I wrote then send me a email to crossfitblackdiamond@gmail.com.
I have been assured that on the next one (monthly) I will have more time to fix any errors made by the editors who's job is to make it readable by everyone. Once again I apologize for the column. These things happen.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #30
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Wow that stinks. Ive heard that is one of the dangers of writing columns like that. You might see if they'll print a clarification in the next issue?