CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
James Phillips

Profile:
Shaman's Path

I started on it today, after getting all my equipment from Bill at Rogue Fitness. A big thanks goes out to Bill for putting up with me and seeing the mission through. I got his starter package and plate package then added an old school squat rack, bench, and 300 LBS of metal weights to start my garage gym. I know it will never be finished and like a living organism will continue to grow every month.

I started with the 'Starting Strength' plan by Rippetoe and Kilgore. I've been doing the daily WOD for about nine months so my met-con has hit a plateau and without some weight training to push it along it won't go anywhere. I'll do this for 8 to 12 weeks, with an occassional WOD thrown in on my off days.

The First days results were good, and can only get better:

Warm Up

Crossfit Warm up x3

[U]Squats[/U
45x5x2
75x5
105x5
135x5x2
185x5
205x5

Press
45x5x2
65x5
75x5
85x5
90x5
95x5x2

Deadlift
95x5
135x5
185x5
195x5
The total tonnage for the day was 10,200 LBS, good start!

I'll also add comments to my blog at http://www.myspace.com/engineer_extreme
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
James Phillips

Profile:
Re: Shaman's Path

I decided to go with a barbell complex I’ve seen around. I’m hoping to improve my strength and my technique along with it. I can tell you right now I need a lot of it on my Olympic lifts.

Completed the CFWUx2 and then the Burgener Warm up.

Clean and Jerk Complex - x8
Power Clean, Hang Clean, Front Squat, and a Split Jerk – all at 85 lbs

Then

Snatch Complex - x8
Power Snatch, Split Snatch, Hang Snatch, and Overhead Squat – all at 85 lbs

My shoulders and back really felt this. I think it will definitely be a Motrin night before going to bed. I’m going to sleep good.

As always go to my blog for more comments - http://www.myspace.com/engineer_extreme
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
James Phillips

Profile:

The second half of the program was easier than I figured. I haven’t lost the old high school bench press mark yet. I did up my squat by 10 lbs, which is what it should go up so I’ll start off higher the next round. Oh yeah, I forgot to put in my dimensions before I started down the path, or maybe I just didn’t want to give them out. I mean it’s not nice to ask a person about their weight, right? In my neck of the woods you ask a lady her weight or age and she answers with a right cross followed by a swift kick to your butt….

38 year old male/6’0/224 lbs/BMI 18%

And the results:

Completed the CFWUx2 and then the Burgener Warm up.

Squats
45 x5 x2
115 x5
135 x5
185 x5
205 x5
215 x5

Bench Press
45 x5 x2
95 x5
115 x5
135 x5
165 x5
185 x5 x2

Back Extensions
BW x10 x5

Chins
BW x10 x3

Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
James Phillips

Profile:

I got the Rogue Rings in today and they look AWESOME!!! I popped out a couple of dips and it became readily apparent it’s not a bar dip by any stretch of the imagination. I was swinging like I was sitting on Grandma’s porch sipping lemonade on a summer afternoon. I got it under control though and damn near got a muscle-up. I say by the end of the week I get one, maybe two.

It was the second time though the first S&S programmed work set. I increased my weight on the Press and went up another five pounds on the squat.

The work was the following:

Completed the CFWUx2 and then the Burgener Warm up then

Squats
45x5x2
135x5
185x5x2
205x5
215x5
220x5

Press
45x5x2
75x5
85x5
95x5
105x5x2

Squat Cleans
85x3
95x3
105x3x2

Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
James Phillips

Profile:

I've developed some tendonitis in my left knee and I tried to push through it the other night. I don't want to do any severe damage so I'm, going to take a few days off and do some RICE to it.

See you then
Old 02-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
James Phillips

Profile:

My first ‘Lynne’ done with real bench presses, an experience. My chest and tri’s are on fire! I had to drop the bench press from 225 lbs to 185 to get my numbers up above two, but other than that it was ac Rx’d. And my knee is still good, a little pain but nothing like when I squat. I’ll put some ice on it and rest it some more, maybe a week before trying to get back into SS again.

The work:

Lynne’ – Body weight Bench Press and Max Pull-Ups for 5 rounds

My results:

8/9
8/9
7/6
5/5
5/5

Total = 33/34

Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
James Phillips

Profile:

The knee is definitely doing better. I didn’t have to take as much Motrin today or ice as much to keep the swelling down, and for the first time since last week I can actually fully extend it without it feeling tight. In keeping with letting the joint rest I passed on ‘Eva’, but I will see her in the future. I make it a point to see all the ‘nasty’ girls. I decided to go with the upper body again… sort of.

I chose to go with Ian Carver’s ‘Ataxia' for one round. I didn’t want the dead lifts to mess with the fact my knee is feeling decent. I don’t want to go back to square one with the thing. My hat’s off to Ian for creating a devilishly WOD. The man is after my own heart…I think because he wants to rip it out.

The Work:

25 135 lbs Dead lifts
25 Pull-ups
20 135 lbs Dead lifts
25 Push-ups
15 135 lbs Dead Lifts
25 Sit-ups

The Results:

12:08 for the one round.

Then I went and did some Presses. I went up to 140 lbs for a 1 RM. I wanted a little more but it’s a good starting point. I also did some ring practice with some dips, but after ‘Lynne’ it was just south of hell trying to lock out.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
James Phillips

Profile:

Decided to go with the frying my shoulders, you know, finish what I started last night. That makes about 50 reps and I now can not feel my hands… below my elbows. I did find my PR for the Press, 145 lbs, and a PR for the Push Press, 150 lbs. The only problem is by the end of the work my shoulders were so gone I couldn’t get a real feel for the Push Jerk. I know it’s better then the 135 lbs I ended up with. I’ll do the PR a couple of days from now to make sure I get the recovery of my traps in.

The Work:

Press – 1x1x1x1x1
Push Press – 3x3x3x3x3
Push Jerk – 5x5x5x5x5

The Results:
Press – 115, 125, 135, 140, 145
Push Press – 135, 140, 140, 145, 150
Push Jerk – 115, 120, 125, 130, 135

As always go to my blog for more comments - http://www.myspace.com/engineer_extreme
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
James Phillips

Profile:

Tonight's entry will have to be short and sweet. I've just spent three hours in hell on call with a client who isn't exactly 'customer friendly'. If you ask me she's one step short of being Satan.

The Work:

3 Rounds of:
400 M Run
50 Squats
30 Back Extensions

3 Rounds of Ring Dips

The Results:

Time - 13:54

Dips - 5/5/6

My knee did great for the shortened work. I didn't have to ice as the swelling didn't come back, but the mother is SOREEEE! Now I just have to keep up the rehab and NOT kill the lady client from hell.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
James Phillips

Profile:
Thumbs down Re: Shaman's Path

Sorry, but I've been out for the last two weeks letting my knee rest. It got incredibly sore and I decided that even doing anything on it was just too much. It's a whole lot better now so on the next cycle I'll get back to it.

3-2-1 GO!