CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Carbs to include simple carb

Ok, thank you for the replies. For those that replied and others, if you went without, or with minimal carbs for some extended period and then reintroduced them, how did that go?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Kerry Kubla

Profile:

Hello Chris,
I started following a Paleo/Zone diet around two years ago and noticed a huge difference after cutting the grains,oats,starch and pasta. Anytime I have reintroduced a large amount of any type oats, grains, pasta, or starches I have became extremely bloated and end up feeling like $^!% the following day. I later found better tasting alternatives that contain more nutrients and vitamins to replace all of these items so I really do not miss any of them.

Over the past 8 months I have been following an Intermittent Fasting and Ketogenic diet. I feel excellent and have way more energy, without any crashes, so this is working very well for me. I have continued to make strength gains, and I am able to stay leaner and feel healthier all year long without having to constantly count calories, schedule my life around meals, and track everything I consume. My daily intake consist of around 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carb all from very minimum processed and wild foods.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Kubla View Post
Hello Chris,
I started following a Paleo/Zone diet around two years ago and noticed a huge difference after cutting the grains,oats,starch and pasta. Anytime I have reintroduced a large amount of any type oats, grains, pasta, or starches I have became extremely bloated and end up feeling like $^!% the following day. I later found better tasting alternatives that contain more nutrients and vitamins to replace all of these items so I really do not miss any of them.

Over the past 8 months I have been following an Intermittent Fasting and Ketogenic diet. I feel excellent and have way more energy, without any crashes, so this is working very well for me. I have continued to make strength gains, and I am able to stay leaner and feel healthier all year long without having to constantly count calories, schedule my life around meals, and track everything I consume. My daily intake consist of around 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carb all from very minimum processed and wild foods.
100% opposite effects and experience from this guy. Training on Keto/IF was terrible. I felt drained, beat up and weak, on a regular basis. I would say that I am fairly bloated, 24/7, though. The only exception is upon waking up.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #14
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
100% opposite effects and experience from this guy. Training on Keto/IF was terrible. I felt drained, beat up and weak, on a regular basis. I would say that I am fairly bloated, 24/7, though. The only exception is upon waking up.
i have the same bloating problem, and i only eat around 100-150g of carbs most days. When i wake up i feel and look leaner, but all it takes is that first meal to puff me up no matter what it consists of. Could also be that we're just very well hydrated?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Water follows carbs to a degree, but I think individual definitions of "bloated" can vary pretty dramatically.

I'm very curious to find out the experience from a performance perspective, WODs being a good judge, for those who have cut carbs and then reintroduced them.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 AM   #16
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I did a ketosis type of diet in summer 2013. I weighted 10 kilos less than today. Endurance stuff really suffered.

The moment I started with carbs again I gained 4kg over a few days and the engine was running much better.

defo will not do this again, keto/zero carb is bad for performance, mine.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Todd R Miller

Profile:

I've been following a cyclical bulking/cutting nutrition program, similar to what natural bodybuilders follow. Basically, I "bulk" for 12-16 weeks, then "cut" for 4-6 weeks. This is done primarily through manipulating carb intake. During the bulk, I aim for at least 2g of carbs and 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. During the cut, I reduce the carbs by ~100g, and slightly increase the protein to ~1.5g per pound of bodyweight.

There is no doubt that my performance suffers when cutting carbs. The first thing I notice is that weights start to feel heavy when I unrack them. I notice that bar speed starts to slow. I start to doubt myself with heavy weights, and eventually my 1 RMs start going down. My metcons also begin to suffer.

When I transition from the cut to a bulk, I gradually start adding back carbs. Within about a week, boom, I start to feel great. Metcons take off. Bar speed starts to return, confidence starts to come back.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #18
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Miller View Post
I've been following a cyclical bulking/cutting nutrition program, similar to what natural bodybuilders follow. Basically, I "bulk" for 12-16 weeks, then "cut" for 4-6 weeks. This is done primarily through manipulating carb intake. During the bulk, I aim for at least 2g of carbs and 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. During the cut, I reduce the carbs by ~100g, and slightly increase the protein to ~1.5g per pound of bodyweight.

There is no doubt that my performance suffers when cutting carbs. The first thing I notice is that weights start to feel heavy when I unrack them. I notice that bar speed starts to slow. I start to doubt myself with heavy weights, and eventually my 1 RMs start going down. My metcons also begin to suffer.

When I transition from the cut to a bulk, I gradually start adding back carbs. Within about a week, boom, I start to feel great. Metcons take off. Bar speed starts to return, confidence starts to come back.
If only there were another macronutrient you could cut, one that wouldn't effect performance...... (wfs)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #19
Todd R Miller

Profile:

I take it you are referring to fat. I'm well aware of the role(s) of fat, and currently keep to a low/moderate fat intake. I do monitor fat intake, but don't do too much adjusting here. During a cut, I'll reduce it a bit, and during a bulk I'll bump it up a bit.

I have experimented with adding more fat during a bulk in the past, with the result being more accumulated fat.

To go back to Chris' question regarding carbs and performance, I find that carbs have a big impact on Crossfit performance - a bigger impact than the other two macros.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
Kerry Kubla

Profile:

Just curious if you do not mind me asking for those that did try a Ketogenic(VLCD) diet how long did you stay on this before bulking back up on carbs? Also what was your mg/dl of ketones on a daily bases while on a VLCD?

As Chris stated water follows carbs to a degree. Part of the reason for gaining weight immediately after introducing carbs is due to every gram of carb injested will be binding with around 3x that amount of water. This is why when people cut carbs they experience an immediate drop in overall bodyweight however this is mainly coming from less water retention.