CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #81
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

If you want to put on mass you have to accept some fat gain in the process. If you want to minimalise that track your macros, make sure you are eating enough protein and enough in general and try to hit an average of .5 lbs or so per week.

At your size and likely TDEE you shouldn't be concerned about adding a little fat, you could likely get away with a pretty "dirty" bulk of just eating anything and everything in sight and then spend a couple months slowly shedding that fat.

If you want to do it all at the same time (add weight but not any fat) then you will likely stay small. Cutting fat is easy, don't be scared to pack a little on in the process.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #82
David Meverden

Profile:

I haven't read the whole thread, but based on the recent update I also think you should take like 6 months and not worry about putting on fat at all. If you refuse to jeopardize your six pack for even a short time then you'll be tall and skinny for the rest of your life. Sacrificing some vanity for a couple seasons to earn some muscle that will last you decades is more than worth it, especially since the fat will come off pretty fast as an ectomorph.

I have an ectomorph friend who used to be a RAIL (it was before I met him; the pictures are scary). Was 6'2" or 6'3" and like 145 or 150#. After he found out he was unable to bench 100# he decided he needed to change. He ate 5000 kcals a day (tracked his eating to make sure he had enough, not particularly clean eating) and did a bodybuilder style lifting plan. He eventually made it close to 200# (says he could not get heavier than that at 5000 kcal/day). Years later he's around 185ish without doing much serious strength work and looks like a regular, active, outdoorsy person instead of a starving refugee.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #83
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Preston View Post
UPDATE: almost 1 year later... I've been eating more... but let me get to that in a moment.

First, I've packed on about 15#... I'm at 175 now.

Second, my lifts have skyrocketed... probably due to a combination of more muscle and better technique. I clean 190#, C&J 165#, and snatch 135# (but, I'm about to hit 140#)

EDIT: almost forgot... I just DL'ed 295# about a week ago... stoked on that!

Now, on to eating... I really tried to eat a LOT more... but, I lose definition in my core when I eat a ton... it's really frustrating & I'm not sure if I'm eating wrong or if I just shouldn't be worried about maintaining a 6 pack until I've bulked (that's kind of a scary notion for me).

What do you guys think? I'm close to seeing a sports nutritionist to see what I should be doing.
I'm not trying to be a d!ck but at 175lbs and those are your numbers i've got to wonder what kind of programming you're doing, if after a year of training and eating 15lbs is all you've added and your lifts are all on the very low end for someone at 175lbs.

In a years time of good programming and eating you should have added easily a solid 20-30lbs (obviously not 100% of that is muscle) but neither is 100% of your 15lbs muscle, not to mention your squat and deadlift should have gone up 75-100lbs, bench easily 50-75lbs, being that you were so weak/novice at strength training.

There are good programs out there and they are fairly easy to find:

Starting Strength
Stronglift 5x5
Bill starr 5x5
Bill Starr Only the Strong Survive
Texas Method
Westside for Skinny Bastards
GSLP
Candito's linear progression
5/3/1
Cube Method
Juggernaut Method
Paul Carter's Base Building

Pick one and stick to it!! more then likely for yourself i'd pick a linear progression program, because your lifts are still low.

To whoever said this guy should hop on Texas Method and how TM is a better routine than SS, and why would a beginner not use TM if its a better routine. LINEAR PROGRESSION, why not exhaust basic linear progression with SS or a similar program before moving on to something else, ALSO someone like this guy doesn't seem to know enough about programming and their body and lifts to do a non-beginner routine.

So do I think Texas Method is good hell yeah i'm running it right now, but I definitely would not tell someone like OP to go on TM, I would say a 5x5 or SS, or some kind of basic linear progression program would serve him better.

Point #3
Forget your ****ing abs, you being so @n@l about your abs and not allowing yourself to eat ice cream or whatever is what's slowing down your gains. You're a stick, and you clearly under-eat and have a problem packing in enough calories on average. Feel free to track your calories I do even when i'm bulking. I do IIFYM, so as long as I can make things fit my macros and what not, I eat whatever I want. Someone threw out the number 3000 calories in the thread good starting point, but if you dont see any weight gain after a while (2-3 wks) up the calories by 100-200, and keep doing this until you see gains.

I might be coming off harshly but you (OP) are frustrating, you've been given the keys so to speak, and you're not really doing it but then complaining, I put 10lbs on my first 1-2 months of training (i'm not a rare case)...and you only put on 15lbs in a year, just think about it.

Lift heavy (in relation to you)
find a good linear progression program
EAT! (figure out what your maintenance is by trial and error and up your calories from there)

You want to get bigger that's the price you have to pay.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #84
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Drew, to be perfectly honest I don't think he really wants to get bigger, at least he doesn't want to put the work in. He has been getting person upon person telling him to EAT, EAT, EAT and "oh but I don't want to lose my abs" is the response.

It might sound harsh but you can't coddle someone who isn't willing to put in the sacrifice on their end.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #85
Chris Mason

Profile:

I may have posted this before, but in case not, I wrote an article on this very topic .

WFS - http://www.atlargenutrition.com/medi...MMASSGuide.pdf
Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #86
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Preston View Post
UPDATE: almost 1 year later... I've been eating more... but let me get to that in a moment.

First, I've packed on about 15#... I'm at 175 now.

Second, my lifts have skyrocketed... probably due to a combination of more muscle and better technique. I clean 190#, C&J 165#, and snatch 135# (but, I'm about to hit 140#)

EDIT: almost forgot... I just DL'ed 295# about a week ago... stoked on that!

Now, on to eating... I really tried to eat a LOT more... but, I lose definition in my core when I eat a ton... it's really frustrating & I'm not sure if I'm eating wrong or if I just shouldn't be worried about maintaining a 6 pack until I've bulked (that's kind of a scary notion for me).

What do you guys think? I'm close to seeing a sports nutritionist to see what I should be doing.
Congratulations!

That's actually excellent IMO. You've made slow but reasonable and steady progress towards your goal.

15 pounds is nothing to sneeze at, and putting it on slowly minimized fat gain. Also ecto-types are typically hard gainers so folks - take it easy on our boy!

Have you taken any rest weeks during this time? Give your body a chance to fully recover? You may find as many do that your lifts will jump up after returning.

If you want the abs to stay you might have to diet down after gaining more mass. It's the vicious treadmill that bodybuilders get on (pun intended) that Crossfit kind of is a rebellion against - focusing on all-around performance and not appearance or poundage. That is something you may want to (re)adopt at some point as well.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #87
Nick St Pierre

Profile:

Without going through the entire thread, but reading the title "HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!! " my number one advice is to eat, eat and eat. I went from 148 to my current BW of 165 with minimal fat gain. I have noticed nice strength gains and think I actually look better and more full at the high body weight. If your goal is to be more muscular and stronger, eating more is the only option, with my experience.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #88
Dakota Base

Profile:

Abs on a Skinny Guy = Big boobs on a fat chickWFS

Guys that resist pursuing the proper diet and strength program to get bigger because they're afraid of gaining a little fat will never be successful at getting bigger.

Body morphology is really nothing more than a study of 'symptoms' rather than a diagnosis of any given 'affliction'. In other words, genetics only play a small part - genetics can determine partially your muscular cell count (i.e. how much muscle you have), but it doesn't necessarily dictate your muscular development or cellular size (i.e. how BIG those muscles are). You might not be able to ever be a 240lb bodybuilder, but based on your structure in your pic, there's no reason you can't get to respectable weight and strength standards - well, no reason other than your own fear of a little body fat.

Don't let some Men's Health article about body types convince you that you're a pure "ectomorph" and that you could never build muscle/strength no matter what you do.

More often than not, my personal experience has been that guys use "I'm an ectomorph, I can't gain weight, so why fight my genetics, why fight my body type?" as an excuse to not put in the work to get the body they want.

But you can't buy a Lexus by saving for a Chevy. Eat a lot, a lot of meat, and lift a lot...