CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Jonathan Greene

Profile:
Sanity check. A few weeks in the Zone - how am I doing?

I have been zoning for a few weeks now. Calculators prescribe 19 blocks for me considering I am an "active" CF'er. I shoot for approx 1x fat blocks as I attempting to lose some bodyfat. I stay satiated and quite honestly feel like I am gorging myself during a 5 block meal that has no dairy. So far adjusting to eating the new way has been rather easy.

That being said I am looking for a little more variety and wanted to get some feedback on the foods I commonly eat and my common meals. I tend to be a creature of habit/routine so making sure the meals I commonly eat are sound is important.

A normal workday breakfast is:
either 2 eggs or 1 egg and 2 eggs whitesover easy cooked with a small amount of olive oil
2 cups of 1% milk
an apple or orange
cashews/peanuts/macadamia/almonds/ or pecans to get my fat blocks - 4 blocks total

A common lunch (I still eat out during lunch at work) is:
a grilled chicken salad.
an apple or an orange
some nuts
milk right when I get back to the office to bolster the lunch if needed. 4-5 blocks total

A common dinner for me will be:
5 oz grilled chicken or tuna
1 cup green beans, 1/2 cup black beans
raw spinach and olive oil salad, - ~5 blocks total.

A common last snack/meal is:
4 cups of cottage cheese or 2 cups plain yogurt or 4 oz chicken
some blueberries or strawberries or both
Nuts for fats - 4 blocks

These meals and the foods within them make up the core of my diet. I estimate I eat these meals or something very close 80% of the time.

Is depending on dairy this much a bad idea?

I tend to eat a large amount of fruits and nuts. Is this OK?

Are the green beans and black beans sound veggie choices to eat often? What are some other good vegetables I can eat while zoning?

If there are any glaring issues in these meals and food choices, please let me know.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Oliver Gould

Profile:
Re: Sanity check. A few weeks in the Zone - how am I doing?

Your diet looks good. Try and add more broccoli, kale and other green veggies, but that looks solid. You're eating 16-18 blocks which sounds good. Just on point of comparison, my average day:

Breakfast:
5 Eggs
3/4 Cup Dry Oatmeal (makes 1 cup when cooked)
1 Cup Blueberries
2 Tsp. Olive Oil
15 Almonds (slivered)

Lunch:
5 oz. Chicken Breast
4 Cups Broccoli
1 Cup Tomatoes
1 Apple

Snack:
1/2 Apple
1 oz. Cheese
1 Tsp. Peanut Butter

Dinner
7.5 oz. Salmon
4 Cups Zucchini
1/2 Cup Chick Peas

Snack:
1 Cup 2% Milk

Veggies are better than fruit or nuts but those foods are very healthy and you'll be fine with them. You can even add in pasta or other starch in limited quantity if you do it sparingly. I sometimes make 1 Cup of homemade pasta with 2 cups of chopped broccoli, chicken breast and olive oil. Add some pepper flakes and its a tasty 5 block meal.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

Thanks Oliver.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I would caution against the pastas though. The higher density carbs you ingest, the harder it'll be to control insulin, you'll feel hungry quicker after you eat etc., and to be honest, pasta and rice especially are poor sources of nutrition. Hence, why the dark, leafy greens and broccoli are great options. More veggies never hurt anyone.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

I've been on the Zone for a couple of weeks now, and I'm eating basically the same foods as you do. Except I tend to have more fish - 1/2 a can of tuna or salmon is great as the protein half of a 2 block snack. Very good on one slice of wholemeal toast if you're in a rush.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Read this regarding nut consumption:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1977

Even though it's for Paleo, the effects that nuts have on you was an eye opener for me and as a result I have decreased my nut consumption.

Regarding fruit, you want to eat fruit more towards the beginning-middle of the day because they have a higher GI than vegetables. As a result, eat vegetables towards the middle-end of the day. But if you cant get your hands on vegetables, fruit is still better than grains no matter what time of day.

But your situation is what dictates the way you eat. I am at college and vegetables are avaliable for only lunch and dinner, but not all the time. Also, almost all sources of fat are bad (ex: bacon, sausages, hamburgers, etc). So as a result I am forced to eat alot of fruits and nuts. My performance is still increasing, but i could do better with more vegetables and more sleep (i am constantly tired b/c no one goes to bed at college). But go off of how you feel. If you feel fine eating alot of fruits and nuts, go for it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
I've been on the Zone for a couple of weeks now, and I'm eating basically the same foods as you do. Except I tend to have more fish - 1/2 a can of tuna or salmon is great as the protein half of a 2 block snack. Very good on one slice of wholemeal toast if you're in a rush.
Ah. I vary my protein sources more than my initial post would lead you to believe. I eat mostly chicken, a lot of tuna, some salmon, some lean beef.