CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #41
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:
Re: SS novice seeking advice

Hey Guys,

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, just wanted to share:

I've been doing GOMAD for 4 days, hitting 5,000 kcals for 5 days, reset all my lifts and am starting 70's Big full swing on Tuesday.

Grilled up a delicious flank steak a few days ago as well to fuel my efforts. Oh, and I'm working on that all-important beard. Pics related.

Thanks for all the support and advice, I'm glad to be getting all of this going finally. Also, I'll try to post a weekly log in the log section when I have the time.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #42
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Planeaux View Post
Hey Guys,

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, just wanted to share:

I've been doing GOMAD for 4 days, hitting 5,000 kcals for 5 days, reset all my lifts and am starting 70's Big full swing on Tuesday.

Grilled up a delicious flank steak a few days ago as well to fuel my efforts. Oh, and I'm working on that all-important beard. Pics related.

Thanks for all the support and advice, I'm glad to be getting all of this going finally. Also, I'll try to post a weekly log in the log section when I have the time.
Tamara will have a crush on you if you keep this up...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #43
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Tamara will have a crush on you if you keep this up...
Not just Tamara. The beard is definitely a good start.

Katherine
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #44
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

Hey guys,

Once again, I'd like to apologize for bringing this thread back, but I just really wanted to thank you all again for the terrific advice with an update on my progress.

It's been a little over a month since I started GOMAD + 70's Big and here's what has happened since:

5RM:
Squat - 235 increased to 255
Deadlift - 275 increased to 295
Bench Press - 175(barely) increased to 185
Press - 105 increased to 115
Power Clean - 145 increased to 165

It may not seem like these have gone up much, but I had to reset my weights and it was extremely easy hitting these new maxes after the increase in calories.

I expect these will continue to go up over the next three weeks as I'll be doing GOMAD for at least that much longer. The press is really the only exercise that has been a little difficult to increase, even by increasing max by only 5#/week, but I think that's just because my form is still a bit shaky.

As for weight and body comp, I'm up from 170# to 191#! Pics related.

Once again, thanks for all the advice. Definitely very happy with the results so far, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #45
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Ahhhhhh... The system works!!!

Nice work brother! On the lifts and the beard! If you break 200# BW, You'll make Tamara's Christmas card list!

Soccer still going ok?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #46
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Milton: Soccer ended with classes two weeks ago, so I've just been bulking, essentially with minimal cardio as of late. Putting on the extra 15 pounds didn't seem to do much other than lower my endurance a bit.

So here's the final results from 70's Big and a month and a half of GOMAD:

Weight: 170# - 195# (25 # increase)

5 Rep Maxes:
Squat: 235# - 275# (40 # increase)
Bench: 175#(barely) - 195# (20 # increase)
Deadlift: 275# - 315# (40 # increase)
Press: 105# - 110# (5 # increase)
Power Clean: 145# - 180# (35 # increase)

Final Pictures attached, initial pictures posted previously as 3-27-11.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the results. I was really stuck on the majority of these lifts, and it feels like most of my current maxes could even be pushed a bit further in the coming weeks.

For now I'm cutting out milk and sticking to paleo as I'm satisfied with where most of my lifts are and am beginning to be dissatisfied with the amount of fat I've put on. I'll still try to get in as many calories as possible and push my maxes, albeit at a slower pace. Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread, it's been a blast.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #47
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Just don't forget that it's always easier to cut the fat with more muscle.

What position do you play in soccer? As a soccer coach, I would rather have a kid who is 220# and STRONG coming into the season rather than someone who is way to light. All the sprinting will help drop off some of the fat, and he will have a heck of a lot more power behind his shots and plays.

You aren't stopping 70s Big yet, are you? When does your season start? How much better do you think you could play with a 300+ squat and a 400+ deadlift? Cutting out the milk will slow things down some, but as long as you keep feeding yourself in order to recover, you should still make progress.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #48
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Adam: I stuck mostly to outside midfield, so I could definitely feel the extra 20# I had put on towards the end with all the running at that position.

I'm not stopping 70's big as it seems to fit pretty well into my schedule and allows me to stay in pretty good cardiovascular shape while still hitting the big lifts. I'm still trying to get 4,000ish kcals a day without milk, but it's definitely a challenge so far. I won't be playing soccer again in any serious capacity until mid-July, so until then I'll be focusing on increasing my lifts and dieting/recovering effectively.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #49
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Nice work.

Were you having some weird issues with your press?

If I had my way, you wouldn't cut milk or calories yet. You said you've been doing "minimal cardio." Work in some extra sprints or some longer rows to help you prep for soccer season, but don't worry about dropping pounds yet. Like Adam said, once you are back to soccer, it is going to be easy to shed some fat.

Also, facial hair is definitely a good thing.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #50
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Tamara: I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with my press, but I was having trouble ramping up my chin-ups as well. I feel I have the form down: tensing the glutes/core, keeping the bar near my face, elbows in front of the bar, getting under it as soon as it's over my head. I just can't seem to get past 115. Not sure whether it was a mental block or what. Once the weight's cleared my head I'm fine, it's just that initial push that's the problem. Kinda feels like I don't have enough wrist strength or something to get it out of that initial rack position.

As for chin-ups, I have a suspicion that my grip/forearms are lagging behind the rest of my upper body. I haven't been able to get more than 8 reps max in (which is an increase of zero from when I started). I could do 8 at 194, and now around 191ish I can still really only hit 8. Not sure how to fix that one either, except it feels like I'm barely hanging on and about to fall off the bar after my 8th rep. Tightening my grip just leads to less reps for some reason.

As for diet, definitely not cutting calories, just not drinking milk due to the undesirable ratio of fat to lean mass that it put on. Just seeing if I can't avoid that by keeping my calories cleaner. I have noticed a drop in performance/recovery in the last week though since stopping, so I'm really on the fence about it.