CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Brandon Michael Enos

Profile:
Is there any set number as to when I should buy a couple of rings and start using those for my pull ups? Im up to three tactical pullups on a bar and think I want to buy some rings and start working on them, but I dont wanna buy the rings and not be able to do anything with them either.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I don't have any experience on actual rings yet, but I simulated some with truck tie downs once. In my opinion, pull ups are not really more difficult on rings. It is different from a support if you consider that in the pull up, you are just hanging there - you don't need to keep the rings stable much, if at all. Other things, such as a support, would seem to call on the stabilizer muscles much more.

So yes, I think you could probably start using rings for pull ups. As for other ring exercises, just remember that rings are a very good way to get strength. And even if you lack strength currently to do very much on rings, your strength should increase quickly because of other exercises or assisted ring exercises of some sort.

Have fun.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:
derek,

IMHO, doing hanging movements on rings is more difficult than doing them on a pull-up bar. ever try doing windshield wipers on rings? from personal experience, doing a front lever on a bar is noticeably easier than doing one on rings.

but that's just me.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
As Derek said, pullups are not significantly harder to do on rings than a bar. If that's what's hindering you then you might as well get them because it won't be a hindrance.

Your dips, however, will be much harder. :-)
Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:
David - I don't know about much else than the pull ups thing. The "rings" were something I only did once and they didn't work that well anyways.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I'd like to chime in, you can do a lot more exercises on rings than a stationary bar. True inversion on a bar is sort of front leverish compared to inverted hang on rings. It's also much easier to do skin the cats and connect skills for sets.

This can be shown as simply as Tyler Hass ringtraining program. I don't necessarily do many of those but it does show the amount of different exercises that can be utilized with rings compared to what I think of a stationary bar or door jam bar.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Rings are cool, I'd advise anyone to get them! If you get the strength work DVD that accompanies them you'll see a lot of great (and fun!) exercises you can do on rings.

Even if you're only holding a push up position on the rings you'll feel you're body desperately trying to stabilise itself.

Colm
-I love Rings
Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
Luke Rossmo

Profile:
Definatly purchess rings, incredible training tool. Thank you Tyler! One of the best purcheses i have made.