CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
jericho lagustan

Profile:
Hi guys,

2 questions

1. Do any of you guys add a weight training dimension to crossfit? I understand CF is a stand alone program but would it be beneficial (or not) if for example one of the couplets would be substituted with a 5x5 regimen? This would provide more variety ( in the sense that a more conventional lifting day is used) and provide a respite without completely taking the foot from the gas pedal, so to speak.

2. To the basketball players: Have you guys modified the CF regimen to better suit the requirements of the sport? What modifications have you made? Or is CF enough?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Crossfit would not be Crossfit without a weight training dimension. Look at a month's worth of "Workouts of the Day" and you'll see. Also do a search on "ME Black Box".
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
Gary Luu

Profile:
I wasn't doing CrossFit, but I was doing Starting Strength, and I enjoy playing basketball. Here are the things I noticed:

1) You definitely need to run
2) 1-legged strength work is important
3) Add some calf work

I've been getting knee overuse injuries and trigger points in my vastus medialis because that muscle doesn't tend to get worked until you do 1-legged strength work (Pistols). Running also helps a lot. Pushing off strongly to get by someone off the dribble requires a lot of one legged strength, as does trying to jump high off one leg to do a layup. With regards to calf work, a friend of mine had been working with a PT since injuring his knee, and he says that his jump shot has been a lot more consistent post physical therapy. I'm guessing because his lower legs and knees are better able to stabilize himself and reduces the variability in his upward motion.

I'd really like to see what the people here could do in terms of tailoring crossfit for basketball.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Dan Colson

Profile:
Check out CrossFit Journal 53, and see how Josh Everett works CrossFit into his strength and conditioning program for UC Riverside basketball.

Train OLY lifts one day such as power clean, some push presses or split jerks and finish the day with CrossFit met-con style workout (Helen etc)

Train Plyos the next day, box jumps, burpees, lateral jumps, sprints, single leg squats etc (I sometimes combine these in a Crossfit style workout like 21-15-9 etc)
Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
i'm 17 years old and i've been following crossfit for about a year. it has improved many aspects of my game. i still shoot all the time and do ballhandling drills but it has helped with my vert, strength, speed, and especially my conditioning. i will never do a wod on a gameday, and depending on the wod, i won't do it a day or two before a game. you will be sore for a few days after workouts like cindy/mary, 3 bars of death, fgb, and filthy 50 just to name a few.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Chad K. James

Profile:
I was fortunate enough to play for a team that made it to "The Big Dance" this year. Basketball is a major part of my life, and the highlight of my day, everyday (now that it's the off season), is lifting weights and performing CrossFit workouts. I have found that many of the workouts our trainer has us do are actually very similar to that of cross fit. I am beginning to see how vital legs are and I'm wishing I had lifted them more in high school. I love incorporating CrossFit with strength workouts, and I'm looking forward to this summer so I can really go off. The hardest thing for me right now is finding time to rest/stop. I am working out about every day, and I know my body needs rest. It is hard though, because I know there are so many workouts I have not yet accomplished. Man, I love this cite. Any questions for me, just shoot em my way.