CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Tracie Beck

Profile:
Taking Time Off for Injuries

Before CF, did bodybuilding/weightlifting(3-6days/wk) wo and running(30 mi/wk) for 20 yrs.(wow! am I THAT old?)??? (41)
CF is a refreshing change. My husband(51), joined me about 2 mos. ago. We've had our share of knee, neck, back, and shoulder injuries-Frustrating!!! We've both been into some kind of athletic activity most of our lives.
We were feeling great doing CF until we increased our reps on the CFWU from 10 to 15. We both are noticing shoulder/elbow pain. Not sure if it's due to WU or recent WOD's containing pull ups, dips, and MU's. We don't have a MU, so we do equiv. PU's. and dips. We hate to miss a workout, but we also don't want to make things worse by working through it.
I also, nearly dislocated my shoulder at work last Monday. Thinking of avoiding shoulder movements and just running this week. Do we 'cherry-pick' until the injuries subside or take time off completely?(don't wanna)
Also, would any supplements help us w/injuries such as fish oil?
Any help would be greatly appreciated-Thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: Taking Time Off for Injuries

It looks like you should take a prehab deload week.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/perf...hab_deload&cr= (this one is not really wfs)

With all your injuries, I think it'd be good to do some reading of Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson's stuff on T-Nation. It sounds like you guys may benefit from some mobility work, stretching, prehab, and foam rolling. Mike Robertson has a free E-book on foam rolling you can look into.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Tracie Beck

Profile:

Hi Donald-
Thanks for the info. We checked out the 'deloading strategies' and are going to give it a try. It's good to know that we don't have to bypass a workout completely due to injury. Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Don't train them if it's pain. (big dif between pain and soreness) Keep working other skills and take some time off.

I am personally taking 3 days or so off this week to let me shoulders catch up as well. I have had a history of problems with mine. My lower back has been giving me some trouble as well, so I'm gonna stick to some running and simpler body weight exercises (pushups etc).
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Tracie Beck

Profile:

Thanks for the advice, Ben. Today, we did 10 reps instead of 15 on our CFWU and did rows and push ups instead of pullups and dips. We plan to do that at least for a week. Hoping that we can modify the WOD to accomodate ourselves. I can do a few of the WOD's as prescribed but most of the time we do the puppie version-still very tough w.o.'s! It helped our egos a bit after reading some of the testimonials. I guess it helps to be patient too! We're also considering some training from an official Crossfit gym. Thanks again!