CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Harry Shaw

Profile:
I have a client that is a vegan and also doesn't eat any sugar...

can anybody recommend me a good source of energy for after the workouts, I usually take a recovery shake or drink ... what are your thoughts?
thanks in advance
H
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Chris Rebmann

Profile:
Re: I have a client that is a vegan and also doesn't eat any sugar...

You might try any form of legumes. They provide a good source of energy and protein. They are a big staple for many vegans.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Meat cookies.

You think that sounds crazy, but the concept of veganism is much more confounding than meat cookies are. Why is the person vegan?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Peter Boerboom

Profile:

I realize there's great general consensus antipathy towards vegetarians and vegans around here, but there are sound moral/ethical reasons for making such a personal choice. Without wanting to open debate about the reasons behind those choices, the question of nutrition for those who have so chosen is an important one. I would worry less about the post workout replenishment, and more about the overall nutrition profile. Protein needs are not that easy to fulfill on such a diet and need to be paid attention to.

Meat cookies may not be everyone's answer to everything.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Check out the forums at http://www.veganfitness.net/.

I'm not vegan, and I think veganism is silly, but there are some damned impressive vegan atheletes on those forums (well, damned impressive period, vegan or not), and something has got to be fueling them...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

I guess whatever she eats normally.

You will have to educate her on what happens post work to her body, ie, the hormone spikes, and how metabolism functions, and how eating aides growth and repair. But the eating in vegan way.. that is her thing.

do some research for yourself so you can be able to relate or at least understand what she is needing, or be able to steer her in a somewhat right direction.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Fruit is a good pwo meal, helps replenish liver and muscle glycogen. Best choices are those higher in ORAC value that also provide anti-oxidants pwo to quelch down on the free radicals. Best sources are like berries (and other fruit high in water content...not bananas)
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Mira McCombe

Profile:

I'm a fan of green smoothies with protein powder, for example: spinach, cherries, hemp protein powder, banana... sometimes add in a macadamia nut or brazil nut or two. Or any kind of berry-green-veg protein combination, with banana for texture.

Another good one is baked/marinated tofu w/sundried tomato tapenade and hemp bread.

Another is kale/collard cooked with lentils or cannellini or what-have-you, cayenne, tamari and olive oil, chased with a few nuts of some kind.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Meat cookies.

Least constructive, funniest response EVER!

I also think vegans are crazy... partly because I just love dairy, eggs, and animal flesh and can't imagine going without them, and partly because the more I learn, the more I think it's just too much work to live healthily that way.

That said... while the vegan diet is probably not as good as paleo/zone, it's a damn spot healthier than your average american diet that's full of fast food, doritos, and twinkies. Unless said vegan lives entirely on pasta, soy burgers, and veggie pizza, which I have occasionally seen. At that point there's no hope.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Unless said vegan lives entirely on pasta, soy burgers, and veggie pizza, which I have occasionally seen. At that point there's no hope.
I was around a LOT of vegans my first year of college, and most of them ate just like that: veggie pizza, more veggie pizza, *occasionally* some "not-dogs" or something like that. They were a sickly bunch... Skinny, or skinny-fat, and frequently fighting colds, etc. That experience did a lot to form my opinion of veganism.

That said, I'm certain folks *can* formulate a healthful diet based around veganism (see some of the above posts for examples). But it does seem like a LOT of work, more than most individuals can sustain... But to those of you who are vegan/vegetarian and do NOT depend on the crutch of processed foods and unnatural soy products (pretty much any manifestation of soy other than tofu, tempeh, and edemame), more power to you (though I still think you're silly).