CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
Paul Crey

Profile:  
Hi Everyone,

I was interested in the relative training merits of the Tabata as opposed High Intensity Interval Training.

I wondered what different effects (in theory) these 2 training methodoligies may have. I am still grasping the crossfit model and modalities and wondered what the relative advantages and disadvantages of these 2 models are.

From an initail standpoint and my personal training Tabata seemed harder due to the shorter recovery times i.e, Tabata 20 seconds heavy exertion, 10 seconds light, as opposed to 30 seconds heavy exertion, 30 seconds light.

I had wondered if Tabata hits slightly different training modalities?

I am always interested in varying training regiemes and Tabata seemed more demanding on paper than H.I.I.T

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I am looking to increase Anerobic threshold in particular.

Thanks for your thoughts

Paul

(Message edited by aquanaut on December 28, 2005)
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
As far as I know, the Tabata protocol is a H.I.I.T. protocol. Dr. Tabata simply experimented with variations of H.I.I.T. work/rest intervals until he found the combination that worked best according to his tests.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
James R. Climer

Profile:
The key to Tabata is the short rest period, resulting in maximum increase in VO2 max (aerobic capacity) while simultaneously increasing anaerobic capacity, sparing muscle, increasing metabolism up to 24 hours afterwards, and burning bodyfat.

I first learned about Dr. Izume Tabata's interval training findings at Charles (Ripped) Bass' site:
www.cbass.com look at articles #10, 12, & 152
Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Paul Crey

Profile:  
Hi Guys,

Sorry to be so ignorant, but then how does this integrate with CF or is it done on one of the couplet days for example.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
It will come up in its own CF mega-morphed form:

Tabata This! & other sadistic Tabata formats go thru 5 different exercises each an 8-round session itself: Squat, Row, Situp, Pushup & Pullup.

You should read all of Lynne (Tabata handstand pushup) Pitts' FAQ, but here's the Tabata This! Link:

http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm#WODs2

This really works my tear ducts hard. I once tried Tabata Front Squats with 45% bodyweight barbell, not gonna tell you my score though.

I learned about this website when I followed a link to the exercise description page showing Tabata Air squats, up to that point I only did wind sprints, rowing or Tabatas on the Schwinn Airdyne. When I saw the simple idea of air squats...I knew I had struck gold.