CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
Adam C Veres

Profile:
Average cost of the Zone?

Ok, so I've been Cross fitting for about a month and a half now, loving the muscle gains, and decided to start the zone a few days ago. One thing I noticed, it seems to cost quite a bit to eat on the zone. Is it just me?? If some of you on the Zone don't mind divulging the information, about how much do you spend a week on food for the Zone?

Many Thanks!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Mark Sands

Profile:
Re: Average cost of the Zone?

i don't know an actual number of dolllars for our grocery list ,but, my wife and i have been on the zone diet for about three months and havn't noticed a difference in the amount of money...although in the very beginning it was a little more because we hadn't figured out how to shop for our new diet and were experimenting with foods. now we find it basically the same. we figured even though some of the foods are a little more, were had stopped buying cookies, cakes, pretzels, cereals etc. so it sort of evens itself out.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Joseph Gammon

Profile:

I am just finishing my first week and initially bought roughly $80 in food. However, this week, every meal has been at home and I have enough food for at least two more full days of Zone. I used to eat a lot of PB&J, so it is probably relative to what you were used to. It is probably correct that you have to learn how to efficiently buy for the Zone.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Will Parker

Profile:

Me and my parents are finding it quite expensive as opposed to what we used to eat but I think the extra cost is worth it.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Chris Bigler

Profile:

I just watched a news report that touched on this subject in a way. The gist of it was that obesity is rampant because the majority of low quality high GI carbohydrate based foods are also the cheapest.( i.e a box of KD costs 80 cents, and when you read the nutritional value it any zoner will realize that it contains 10+ blocks of carbs). When that actually "clicked" in my mind I nearly had a heart attack....I used to eat 2 boxes at a time in high school/University....no wonder I had issues with my weight.

Those of us who choose to eat healthy do so at a cost, but as in everything in life "you get what you pay for". I shell out at least $50-100 a week on grub...but I know I'm buying high performance fuel, for what is designed to be a high performance "machine". Sadly I am only a Pontiac Grand Am right now...not a Ferrari, yet.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Joseph Gammon

Profile:

My $80 was for two people, not two Zoners, but it no doubt is more expensive each week. It makes a difference when you can't just eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and then a sandwich for lunch or dinner.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Yeah it's too bad that eating cheap often means eating crap. A bag of Frito's can stave off hunger for a week in small increments for $2.50 a bag or so. An equivalent amount of "organic" broccoli might cost you a pretty penny more.

The meat is really what kills me though. Looking at 7x more expensive for some grassfed ground beef compared to grain fed.

In college I could survive on maybe $5 a day (fast food) and small snacks - apple, leftover pizza, chips, burritos, junk, etc.

But you either pay for your good health now or you pay for your bad health later.