CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
Mark Watts

Profile:  
Would anyone have a weight training programme that can be carried out 2 x week that will help with my training for a half marathon? Cheers
Old 05-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Why not tackle the WOD 2x a week.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Why don't we ever hear weightlifters say, "Do you have a long distance running program I can do to help me get stronger?"

Mark I would submit to you that if you were to arrange for some sub 2:30 marathoners to do some of the basic lifts you would find them to be astonishingly weak. The WODs would crush them. I don't mean to impune the importance of lifting to augment sporting success, but I would submit that your time in the half will be improved more by running than by lifting.

I come from an endurance sport background myself and have found that though there is a definate carry over with CF type training (as opposed to just weight training) you cannot expect to lift your way to running success. I would suggest that you augment your training with CF workouts not so much to drop your running times, but rather to keep from developing a runners typical non-muscled, weakened physique.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Do lots of tabata squats, thrusters, and dumbbell swings.

I was one of those people Eugene describes, but more like 3:50 than 2:30. I stopped running marathons about three years ago because my knees were shot, but CF-style workouts have done a lot to restore them. They still sound funky, but they don't hurt all the time.

Seems like most of my posts lately consist solely of saying "me too" to Eugene. What can I say, he's always right: If you want to improve your half-marathon time, run. If you want to get to the starting line (and beyond) healthy, add a few WODs to your weekly schedule.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Mark R. - thanks for the vote of confidence. Mark W - Mark R. is right about the Tabata squats, thrusters and dumbbell swings. Those kinds of movements done with high reps do amazing things to your CV system and build the kind of muscular strength/endurance you are after. Typical weight training routines with heavier weights and low reps are anaerobic/high intensity stuff that is not harmful but will not yield the kind of training benefit that will suit your aerobic/low intensity racing pursuits.

I did an experiment this year by training almost exclusively with high intensity CF type workouts and almost no low intensity work. My swims stayed the same but I didn't bike very much and except for just a few short (6 miles) runs my run training was never more than 400 meters at a time. I raced at the Wildflower half-Ironman the end of April and I was 42 minutes slower than the last time I raced there with the standard long distance training methodology.

I will not give up my CrossFit workouts but I will definately keep up my long distance work. My next race is Gap2Gap in Yakima, Washington which will be a 2 mile run, 16 mile mountain bike, 5 mile downriver kayak, 21 mile road bike and a 10k run. Those short distances will be better for the way I have been training.

I really like Helen and her Big Phat sister of with the same name. Slender Helen is a 400 meter run, 21 swings with a 54 pound KB (or similarly weighted dumbbell) and 12 pullups. You do this for time and of course the faster your time the better. Her big sister is an 800 meter run for the first one and 5 times through instead of 3.

Give Fight Gone Bad a try as well...a blender of rowing for calories, wall ball with a 20 pound ball, sumo deadlift high pull with a 75 pound barbell, box jumps to a 24" box and barbell push press with 75 pounds. After you start you change on the minute with the clock still running. You get 1 minute off between rounds and you go for 3 rounds...or 5 if your feeling your oats.

This afternoon I worked out with a gal I train and we did the following: 400 meter row/.25 mile run (alt. each round), power clean (95 lbs for me, 45 for Brenda) 10 push ups, 10 pull ups (Brenda did 6 with a blue stretch band) and wall ball thrusters with a 20 lb ball for me, 12 for Brenda. We did 4 rounds and I finished in 18:50, Brenda was done in 21:25. Use this kind of workout set up rather than simply doing the typical bench press, squat, curl routine...that stuff is a waste of your time.

Another good Mark R point is knee pre-hab or re-hab. Long distance running is not one of the better inventions for keeping your joints healthy...in fact it may be one of the worst. Learn the Olympic lifts, do overhead squats and thrusters...move your knees and hips through their complete ranges of motion to keep them healthy.

Jeff Galloway has some great books on running as does Jack Daniels. As Mark made very clear, if you want to improve your running time, run...that will be your primary training focus. The CF stuff can be done on your shorter run days but leave your long run day for running only. Do you have a good running program?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
Mark Watts

Profile:  
Thanks very much guy's for the excellent advice. I will be having a look through the exercises mentioned as some I am not familiar with (they may be just called different things over here)Primarily i will be running but with 2 weights sessions of some description thrown in. anyway can't stop i am off to the sand dunes for an interval session. :angry:
Old 05-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
John Frazer

Profile:
For whatever it's worth, I like to run the Army Ten-Miler here every year -- last year I abandoned almost all run-specific training (except a few longer runs of 6-7 miles) in favor of Crossfit WOD and beat all my previous times.