CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-14-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
Mike Yukish

Profile:
H.I.T. training versus olympic lifting-intensive programs has become a controversy in Happy Valley, as the Nittany Lions football team struggles with losing seasons. Interesting article in the local paper...

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/dailytimes/8915253.htm
Old 06-14-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
In football, strength and conditioning programs play only a small part in the win/loss column. Football is not the holy grail of Strength and Conditioning, except perhaps salary-wise.

The strength programs to watch are the ones that have a much bigger impact on wins and losses: discus, shotput, strongman, weightlifting, powerlifting, etc.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
“It’s not that I do what they do,” he said, “But I don’t think you should throw out any form of strength training. My recommendation to high intensity folks is you should not throw out Olympic lifting-type training. You ought to look at that and say, ‘Gosh, maybe there’s something to it.’"

This has always been my contention, and forever there it shall remain.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Another add on...

“There is absolutely no room for injury in the weight room and world-class Olympic lifters break bones, have surgeries,” he said. “High intensity exercise is the most demanding form of strength training there is, but if properly utilized, it’s safe.”

What, and olympic lifting ISN'T safe IF PROPERLY UTILIZED? Give me a break.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
...and Dan Riley goes on:"I refuse to expose our players to the impact forces you get when they do those exercises."

The impact forces of Olympic lifting are quite low. In fact, if there is any significant impact, it is being done wrong. Compared to football, weightlifting is practically a non-impact sport!

These kinds of statements are by someone who has no idea what kind of injuries Olympic lifters get. It makes me wonder if Dan Riley has ever even met a world-class Olympic lifter. Certainly none of his football players were ever in danger of becoming one.

Football coaches see a football player do a couple of horrific power cleans (no jerk) and think they've seen Olympic weightlifting.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
After reading the article I can see why USc has pushed my "gutty little Bruins" for the last 4 years: Oly lifts. If people aren't looking at the explosive speed USC plays with, then they're missing the point. The Olympic lifts work, simple as that. That's why so many of us are adopting them, or variations of them, in our workouts. I am also a major proponent of plyometrics and am incorporating it in our junior high athletic program (as well as with my daughters who play sports). It's no wonder the Nittany Lions and the Houston Texans struggle against the elite in the NCAA and NFL.
Hopefully, UCLA will go to Oly lifts and rise in prominence once again. Or so I can dream!!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
It seems absurd...learn to recieve/handle the impact and momentum of an outside body in a controlled environment ( O-lifting,KB'ing) or learn it for the first time on the FB field?

Next ting you know people will say the earth is round! Kreiki!!!!
Robb
Old 06-16-2004, 07:38 AM   #8
Jonathan W. Barba

Profile:  
Ron-

UCLA hired E.J. 'DOC' Kreis last summer to run the strength and conditioning program. I assure you the Bruins will rise again as Dr. Kreis is one of the best in the business. He is big on the Olympic lifts and plyometrics. CU's loss is UCLA's gain.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Kreis got fired from CU because what's-his-bucket the head coach/pimp suspected that it was snatches that caused the shoulder injuries on his football team. Seriously, is there a football player alive whose shoulders DON'T hurt all the time? I guess it never crossed Barnett's mind that it might have been FOOTBALL that caused those shoulder injuries. Or too much drunken wrestling with hookers.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I knew about the hiring of Doc Kries, but nothing has ever been written about his conditioning philosophies. It is reassuring to know he's heading UCLA in the right direction. Being new to O lifts and what's involved, I'm learning more of the benefits each day. I hope other UCLA fans will wait out the learning process and look for the rewards in the near future (SC took about three years to show total dominance). Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll share them with fellow Bruin sufferers (fans)!!