CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-26-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Kieran Hartnett

Profile:
I don't know if it's exercise-related or if I just slept on it wrong, but my right shoulder currently hurts when I do certain movements, including a shoulder press (particularly with weight, but it's there even with empty hands), any form of push-up and bar hangs.

It's nothing serious, I'm just hoping to pick your collective anatomical knowledge and perhaps get some suggestions on the best way to speed up healing. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Where exactly on your shoulder do you feel pain?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Any overhead pressing pain is *usually* caused by a weak supraspinatus as it's the most injured rotator cuff muscle..
Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Tom Rawls

Profile:
I've recently has problems w/ my supraspinatus. I rested, took vitamin I, and did rotator cuff exercises for about three weeks. It cleared up, but after easing back into push ups and (the other day) light bench pressing, the shoulder is painful again. Also, I've got some popping, which I assume is a tendon riding over something in a bad way.

So I'm back to resting--does anyone have any idea how long I should lay off?

I've searched the forum and got some ideas for recovery/rehab, but would be happy to hear any suggestions.

Kieran--don't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought our problems might be similar.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:
Tom, that sounds like a shoulder injury I got last December trying to learn to kip. I tried to re-start upper body work about once per month and after a couple of really light workouts, it would start hurting and popping again. After 5 months of that, I re-started and it didn't start hurting. Overall, I'd say that was one of the most frustrating training experiences I've had.

BTW, I did a rotator cuff workout from t-nation (cuban presses, etc.) and I think that cost me about 1-2 months of those 5! It REALLY flared up after I did that for the first time even though I did it with 3 lb dumbbells. If my shoulder ever flares up again, I'll wait until AFTER it heals before trying something like that!

I think it improved from rest mainly. I did some of the Super Joints mobility drills: arm swings, egyptian, and russian pool. I think they helped, but not sure how much.

(Message edited by dbradd on August 03, 2007)
Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Tom Rawls

Profile:
thanks Brad. It seems as though I should be able to "do" something. In this case, I guess resting is doing.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
OK, I have a similar problem, and I think it's my infraspinatus. I located the muscle by raising my arm with a 70-90 degree bend, and then externally rotating it away. w/f/s: http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Sh...l#anchor110483

Don't have your elbow tucked into your side, however, because you want to reach under your armpit with your other arm to feel your back. When you feel a muscle bulge up when you externally rotate, that's your infraspinatus.

Now just massage hard, deep, and slow with your fingers or a baseball. When I did this it was scary; I thought I hit a nerve or something. After 1 minute of massage or so, all the pain was temporarily gone.

Whoa.

Repeat 6-8 times throughout the day.

Info comes from the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, which is awesome.

For the supraspinatus, which is between your trap and the top of your shoulder blade, similar massage will help I bet.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Tom Rawls

Profile:
Ben. I was just about to write that I couldn't find a "spot," but I just found one on the front of the shoulder, not the back where I expected it to be. The massage seemed to help, at least for the moment.

thank you.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 AM   #9
Kieran Hartnett

Profile:
Just come back to this thread, I thought it had died with no replies... thanks for your input.

Samuel, the pain is at the very top of the arm, at the outside. I can get my arm into most positions without pain one way or another, but anytime I extend my arm straight out to my side, bend my elbow so that my hand is pointed forwards and then slowly rotate it, the pain hits right at the top as my hand is nearly vertical.

It's still bugging me weeks later, and is going to put a real kink in my workouts as I can't do push-ups or any pull-up work without aggravating it.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
Kieran Hartnett

Profile:
Have prodded around the shoulder bit and the tender are appears to be just at the top and back of the shoulder joint. Giving it a bit of trigger-point loving to see how it does.