CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Michael Salem

Profile:
So I eat Paleo and I had my first cheat day yesterday. I really just wanted some pizza, but some friends of mine went to a chinese buffet .... so I went. I tried to at least keep a paleo mind set there and only ate beef and vegetables, but then had pizza later, it was a late night. Now today I just feel sick and gross, both physically and mentally. My stomach hurts and I am a little perturbed (sp?) at myself. Are cheats even necessary? Does anyone else feel like this after cheat days? How do I solve this problem? Somebody please help me .... lol
Old 06-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
why would it be necessary to eat garbage? Chinese Buffet? No wonder you feel sick. You probably ate someone's cat.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Scott Clark

Profile:

I don't see anything wrong with cheating, whatever eating plan you follow. I eat Paleo-ish and still eat pizza and candy and crap like that when I cheat. And yes, I too feel like garbage afterwards, because i ate garbage. I don't feel bad mentally, that's a little to fru-fru Dr. Phil for me, but physically I pay a price.

If the feelings you get post cheat outweigh your cravings to have the cheat, it's a win-win.

(Message edited by scott_clark on June 16, 2007)
Old 06-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Michael, yeah I feel a bit sick and gross if I've eaten some ice-cream or cake. One, because the sugar in there hits hard. Two, because I know what I've eaten isn't very nutritious.

"Cheating" shouldn't be necessary if you don't want to eat "cheat" food. About the stomach hurting, I can relate... ate half a small tub of choc ice-cream and puked the rest of the night. The same happened with some briyani. And again with even a good-quality-food buffet. Perhaps some stomachs might be more sensitive and unable to handle greasier oilier food after it has been been having clean, nutritious stuff?

Anyhow now I do weekly "carb-ups" rather than "cheat days" and mostly stick to home-cooked rice, pasta and noodles. No vomitting.

What are your thoughts?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Charlie, how can you have such a strong aversion to garbage when it is constantly flowing out of your mouth?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
I feel the exact same way. I never really plan a cheat day it usually happens on special ocasions like a family members birthday or going out to dinner with my girlfriend. I think most of it for me is a mental thing just because I always regret it afterwards and feel a little guilty. I try not to worry about it too much because I know 90% percent of the time I stick to my diet.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:06 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Charlie;
Why the dig at Chinese food?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Dana Joseph Stewart

Profile:
If you are eating "clean" 5-6 times as day, as recommended, that's around 35-42 meals a week. Eating one or two cheat meals will not cause that much harm. I still get that guilty feeling when I have a cheat meal, but I look at it as my reward for working hard all week.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I'm with Dana... *finishes a chocolate brownie*
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Cal Jones

Profile:
Cheats are only really bad if one cheat meal turns into two then three then ten...
The sort of people who turn down grandma's cookies because breaking their diet worries them more than hurting her feelings really worry me. That's verging on orthorexia.
Moderation in all things. And as my mum would say, a little of what you fancy does you good.