CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #1111
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Rob: Sounds like you're making great progress. Keep it up! Be weary right now of any high-impact and/or cutting activity on your knees as the graft is in it's weakest state between 2-3 months post-op as it is being broken down by your body and reincorporated with your own tissue.

Pete: Sorry to hear that. There is, I think, surgery that can be done to tighten the graft if it's something that is really limiting you physically. Unfortunately there isn't anything I've heard of that really helps with degenerative meniscal damage. Best of luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #1112
Rob Darden

Profile:

[QUOTE=Jeffrey Liu;885397]Rob: Sounds like you're making great progress. Keep it up! Be weary right now of any high-impact and/or cutting activity on your knees as the graft is in it's weakest state between 2-3 months post-op as it is being broken down by your body and reincorporated with your own tissue.

Yeah hear ya, I am not ready for any cutting and impact. All condition will be sled dragging, Airdyne bike, C2 and battling ropes. It really feels good to get back on it and sweat.

Last edited by Rob Darden; 01-02-2011 at 07:57 AM..
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #1113
Rob Darden

Profile:

double post, sorry.

Last edited by Rob Darden; 01-02-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #1114
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

Iam now 3 months 3 weeks post op and i feel weak.
I am still feeling discomfort, going down stairs is still difficult, going up is not bad but i def feel the pressure in the knee. At pt, I am still doin wall squats no weight, leg press at 200 both legs and right leg( surgery leg) 100lbs, leg curls im doing 75lbs, walking backwards on treadmill for 5 min at speed 2.0 incline 3, they dropped me walking forward, i so step ups, leg raises 5lbs.
i feel like i lost so much muscle so fast, at home just doing leg raises, wall squats and flexion.
My knee bends 140, but with me tugging at it, like just bending the leg goes to about 125.
I am getting upset because I dont know why my leg is so weak, I should be jogging right now but my pt says im too weak.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #1115
Steven Low

Profile:

Keep on plugging man... some people recover slower than others

If your quad is still way weak make sure you are still doing activation work for it even if you've moved beyond that. It will help a lot when you do the exercises too
Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #1116
Benjamin Priestley

Profile:

Greetings all, first post on the boards.

Another ACL case to add to the archive. I tore my right ACL fully during a soccer game last Sunday. This is the first time I've had any problems with my knee ligaments.

From what I can tell, the mechanism of injury was unusual. I was sprinting straight ahead and felt a pop internally in the knee. I describe it as feeling like someone whacked the inside of my knee with a flexible stick. I don't remember any side-to-side buckling. The rest of my symptoms were typical... immediate collapse to the ground, muscles felt like they turned off, severe pain that subsided in 30 minutes to become light swelling and light pain. I had an ER doc say my ACL was ok a few hours later, but eventually an MRI was ordered and a Dx was made of full ACL tear. Menisci and other ligaments look ok, but the knee capsule is really swollen.

This injury has been hard to accept. I've been CrossFit training for almost three years and had come to feel somewhat protected from injury. I'm 30, and I'm at the point in life where I'd gladly choose CrossFit over soccer. I wish I had appreciated how vulnerable I was out on the pitch.

I'm focusing on pre-hab right now, trying to get full ROM back and gait without a limp (ditched crutches 3 days ago). Thanks to all who have added to this thread, as it has helped me get get a picture of the road ahead of me.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #1117
Marci Walley

Profile:

Just adding my story too. Tore my right ACL, MCL, and meniscus in mid-July when I was tackled at knee level while playing soccer. Had surgery in September and just passed the 5 month mark. I did prescribed pre-hab exercises like quad-sets, ankle pumps, etc...

I had an allograft and was in pt on day 2 post-op. I was paranoid with losing ROM, so I worked hard and my recovery has been pretty textbook. Just starting light jogging now, but have been on a bike and elliptical for a few months already. I also have a great pt.

I'd say the number one thing in getting back is building quad strength. Once I started really hammering quad exercises, things began progressing quickly. I'm very happy with the progress and will never take for granted my mobility again! Oh, and I will stop playing soccer in an over 18 league at 40!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #1118
Benjamin Priestley

Profile:

ACL tear on Feb 13th, met the surgeon for the first time today.

I'm a Kaiser member in Northern CA bay area. After lots of homework on my part, I had decided that the best thing for me was to not mess up my intact ligaments. I wanted the surgeon's preference before stating my own wishes, and he recommended an autograft patella ACLr. I asked to go with an allograft, and he was fine with that. He strongly recommended going with achilles over bptb allograft (reasons: tibial side of the bptb allograft is more crumbly, achilles has more mass).

Surgery is scheduled for early April, and now I am responsible for getting my leg as strong as possible pre-op.

Marci, what type of allograft did you use?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #1119
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

Thought I would jump in here. My ACL recovery has been nothing but textbook. I had a surgery on April 1st and then another one September 16th to clean out the scar tissue. I did everything I was supposed to...used the CPM machine, went to PT, but I could not get my ROM back. I had a patellar graft.

Now I am a little over a year out of my surgery and am back to doing what I did before. My knee still feels weird, but I can run and my strength is coming back nicely. This injury refocused me on my health and I have started following the paleo diet and take my WODs seriously. I don't want this to happen ever again.

I wouldn't wish this injury on my worst enemy, but if you are pre-surgery, make sure you work your *** off immediately after your surgery. I don't mean to be stupid, but get that leg moving and don't be lazy. I did exactly what the doctor told me to do, but found myself not going that extra mile. One thing that kills me is that I would lock my leg out while sleeping in the brace, but would wake up and unlock it without realizing it. That is my only regret...not that this caused any scar tissue, but it's one thing I slacked on.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #1120
Amrit Singh

Profile:

I'm officially 3 weeks post-op, ACL reconstruction autograph patella tendon, lateral meniscus repair. I started physical therapy a week and a half ago.

I am currently at 123 degrees flexion and have full knee extension. I am still on crutches and waiting to hear from my OS next week (1 month post-op visit) and my PT when I can begin to walk with one crutch.

I'm a young guy, played sports in HS and college and am hoping I recovery quickly so I can return to playing the sports that I love - basketball and boxing. I'm also interested in training in Muay Thai once I am confident in my knee again. My primary goal, however, is to have my knee back at 100% or close to it so that I am fit to successfully complete any physical fitness test that involves running.

Hopefully, I can learn as much as I can from everyone's experiences on here and share my experiences on the road to recovery with others, too.

Thank you.