CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #971
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
so I got my scar tissue removed, as I posted in this thread. I have this lump right at one of the holes from the scope. Is this scar tissue? Should i just massage it?

I have another PT appt tomorrow, this just showed up today. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.
Just making an assumption, but I'm guessing that yes, this is scar tissue that has developed at the scope's entry point.

Your PT will either do the massage for you, or instruct you on how to do it at home as well. Deep tissue massage? It's considered something like that, in order to break up that scar tissue that is developing.

Just bring it up to your PT and ask him/her about it.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #972
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
THat's not good at all because if you continue to neglect exercises you will atrophy significantly.

For every 1-2 days you continue to neglect exercises it will prolong your rehab for likely 1-2 weeks cumulative per amount of days you skip. You skip 6-7 days, you'll likely be in rehab for an extra 6-7 weeks on top of what you already need to recover, ESPECIALLY in acute phase right after the surgery.

This is why most docs try to get their patients doing at least activation work ASAP after surgery nowadays. Even if you have a really bad reaction to surgery with lots of inflammatoin etc you still need to push that pain and at least do activation exercises like quad sets.
I just did what my doctor said. He said go home and rest until he sees me next week. He said ice the knee and elevate it. I saw him yesterday, he just removed the stiches and put my brace back on. He said physical therapy is important now and just have to be patient. I took my first shower today and I cant bend my knee. It feels so stiff. Going to my new physical therapist today so lets see what happpens. I hope my doctor knows what he is doing. He is the director of orthopedics at my hospital and is part of NYU Hospital for Joint Disease. Dr. Richard Seldes.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #973
Rob Darden

Profile:

Steven, what are your thoughts on wearing Skins or Zoot compression tights post surgery to help with the swelling?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #974
Cliff Kinney

Profile:

Quote:
so I got my scar tissue removed, as I posted in this thread. I have this lump right at one of the holes from the scope. Is this scar tissue? Should i just massage it?

I have another PT appt tomorrow, this just showed up today. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.
I had this soon after surgery. It was scar tissue and I was instructed to massage it and after a while it went away. Then I had a lump appear 6-7 months(!) after surgery. I massaged it and it broke up and went away rather quickly.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:51 AM   #975
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
Steven, what are your thoughts on wearing Skins or Zoot compression tights post surgery to help with the swelling?
Sure, if they help.

Most people will say compression stuff helps at least some so there's no harm in trying it
Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #976
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

Hitesh - you got to really get on your exercises. Laying down and doing nothing will not help in the long run. Talk to your PT about home exercises and get to it! The last thing you want is to look back at this with regrets while you are sitting there with a stiff knee.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #977
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

Quote:
Hitesh - you got to really get on your exercises. Laying down and doing nothing will not help in the long run. Talk to your PT about home exercises and get to it! The last thing you want is to look back at this with regrets while you are sitting there with a stiff knee.
I went to my PT yesterday. He said my surgeon is crazy for having me sit in bed do nothing for 10 days. I am pretty furious at my surgeon. He examined me and my extension is great basically 0 and my bending is bad its only 45, we did exercises day 1. we did stimulated quad sets, heel slides which were really tough cause my knee was very stiff, but it def helped loosen the knee a bit. He asked me to do leg raises but i couldn't lift my leg. he said my quad and hamstring muscles are still sleeping and that we need them to wake up and get strong asap. Day 2 is on Monday have it 3 times a week. At home twice a day 30 reps I have to do heel slides, quad sets, hip abduction, leg raises, and put my right foot over my left and let it hang from my bed and lift up and down with left leg to bend right knee.

My PT said he will work to get me off crutches asap. He said exercise for a week and then go back to school.

Great PT he has worked on many athletes and is really cool. Saw a few NCAA players there with me.

wish me luck,
Old 09-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #978
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, sounds like your PT is fine... NCAA players is a good sign

Your surgeon wasn't very good IMO with post OP. TOo conservative. But what do I know....

Generally, if they're mostly working with old people and yuo want to get back to exercise probably not a good choice.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #979
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

I was wondering what people here had as there first measurement on knee bend?
Also has anyone had this issue of not being able to lift the leg up? This has been the most frustrating part of all so far.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #980
Vikrant Bhatia

Profile:

i just discovered and joined this forum and find it to be a treasure-trove of inforamation. I had my AcL reconstruction using patellar autograft on September 20th and am now 6 days post-op. Hopefully over the course of time I'll be able to share all my experiences. To just quickly go over some relevant points:

- Started with CPM the evening of the surgery itself but regularly started using it only from Day 1 post-op. I find it a great help as I think one is really not in a position to do any sort of exercise immediately after surgery and CPM kinda does it for you for free. Luckily my insurance supported it.

- Was no so lucky with the ice machine thingy. Insurance did not cover it. Luckily my surgeons office had a spare one they allowed me to use for a week. I need to figure out something after a few days.

- Some really bad looking bruising near my calves and hamstrings. Also had some near my shin earlier but it seems to have magically disapearred. Should I be worried ?

- My ROM (measured on the CPM) has improved significantly started at 60 degrees immediately after surgery by almost 10 degrees every day. I am conciously trying to bend my leg as much as possible while lying in bed.

- I am still unable to lift my leg. Is this normal 6 days post-op ?

- Am taking hydrocodone but am slowly reducing the dosage from 1 every 4 hours to 1 every 6 hours currently. I find my muscles in my leg twitching when I reach the 6 hour mark and am reluctant to push it further. I don't know whether I should give up hydrocodone entirely ? How bad is the pain usually after 6 days

- Oddly, hydrocodone did not induce any nausea etc. I felt alert and fresh and hardly got any sleep. Constipation was a problem so I had to take stool softeners.

- Had one physio appointment and he gave me a list of exercises (quad contractions etc). I am trying to do them dilligently. However I think I slightly strained my hamstring while doing a stretch. Hopefully that is not too much of an issue going forward.

Any other suggestions from folks ? Thanks a bunch !!!