CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #961
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

I got my second surgery this past Thursday to get rid of the scar tissue built up. A pretty big chunk of scar tissue was removed from under my knee cap, right in the joint. The scar tissue was the reason why I could not fully extend and why my knee was so tight all the time. I can see a definite improvement in my ROM already. I can almost fully extend.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #962
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
I got my second surgery this past Thursday to get rid of the scar tissue built up. A pretty big chunk of scar tissue was removed from under my knee cap, right in the joint. The scar tissue was the reason why I could not fully extend and why my knee was so tight all the time. I can see a definite improvement in my ROM already. I can almost fully extend.
That's great news Jared. Hopefully you'll have a swift recovery and get back to full ROM.

I may end up getting my right knee scoped for scar tissue eventually, but...not yet. Trying everything possible before having to get cut open again.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #963
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
good luck Jared.

i am going for my first appoitnment to see my docotor. Have not done any excercises as he advised. Just been resting in bed. i tried to keep my leg as straight as possible, finally figured out how to ice effectively at like day 6. Lets see what the doctor says today. Hoping to be back in school next week, exams start next week and im not even ready for one.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #964
Brad Redinger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh Mulani View Post
Have not done any excercises as he advised. Just been resting in bed.
I for one must say that this surprises me. Granted, I'm no expert, but I had surgery on Thursday and started PT on Friday. I was doing quad sets Thursday night when I couldn't sleep because of the pain meds. Best of luck to you, please continue to update us.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #965
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
good luck Jared.

i am going for my first appoitnment to see my docotor. Have not done any excercises as he advised. Just been resting in bed. i tried to keep my leg as straight as possible, finally figured out how to ice effectively at like day 6. Lets see what the doctor says today. Hoping to be back in school next week, exams start next week and im not even ready for one.
THat's not good at all because if you continue to neglect exercises you will atrophy significantly.

For every 1-2 days you continue to neglect exercises it will prolong your rehab for likely 1-2 weeks cumulative per amount of days you skip. You skip 6-7 days, you'll likely be in rehab for an extra 6-7 weeks on top of what you already need to recover, ESPECIALLY in acute phase right after the surgery.

This is why most docs try to get their patients doing at least activation work ASAP after surgery nowadays. Even if you have a really bad reaction to surgery with lots of inflammatoin etc you still need to push that pain and at least do activation exercises like quad sets.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #966
Brad Redinger

Profile:

Well I haven't updated recently so here goes.

I'm 13 weeks post op today. I've been doing squats to parallel with around 185 pounds (3x10), 18'' box jump downs (focusing on landing), 18'' box step downs (landing on healing knee), resisted running, lateral running (direction changes at discretion of PT pointing L or R), sprints, split squats, and so on. So far things seem to be going extremely well.

I started agility/cone work today. Basically 8 cones set up and run around them changing direction. 20 yd sprints were added at the beginning and end for a pretty good work out.

I've also been doing a workout a friend of mine had after his meniscus surgery. Sitting in a chair, using nothing but your healing leg to stand up. It really focuses on strength in that leg and balance.

I wish continued recovery for all. Take care.

Also, Steve, do you mind if I send you a PM? I have a question for you.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #967
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
THat's not good at all because if you continue to neglect exercises you will atrophy significantly.

For every 1-2 days you continue to neglect exercises it will prolong your rehab for likely 1-2 weeks cumulative per amount of days you skip. You skip 6-7 days, you'll likely be in rehab for an extra 6-7 weeks on top of what you already need to recover, ESPECIALLY in acute phase right after the surgery.

This is why most docs try to get their patients doing at least activation work ASAP after surgery nowadays. Even if you have a really bad reaction to surgery with lots of inflammation etc you still need to push that pain and at least do activation exercises like quad sets.
my doctor just advised me to rest and relax. I went to him today he said it looks great. They took the stitches out. Bruising is not bad at all, and the knee area still feels numb. He said I should now start pt and can bear a little weight on the leg. He didn't measure my knee or anything but when my leg was straight it was basically 0, the bottom of the knee was touching the base of the bed. I found a sports pt and have my appointment tomorrow.
What exercises do you recommend I do at home? Can I get names? How do you do quad sets?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #968
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
my doctor just advised me to rest and relax. I went to him today he said it looks great. They took the stitches out. Bruising is not bad at all, and the knee area still feels numb. He said I should now start pt and can bear a little weight on the leg. He didn't measure my knee or anything but when my leg was straight it was basically 0, the bottom of the knee was touching the base of the bed. I found a sports pt and have my appointment tomorrow.
What exercises do you recommend I do at home? Can I get names? How do you do quad sets?
Follow what your PT says.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #969
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Redinger View Post
Well I haven't updated recently so here goes.

I'm 13 weeks post op today. I've been doing squats to parallel with around 185 pounds (3x10), 18'' box jump downs (focusing on landing), 18'' box step downs (landing on healing knee), resisted running, lateral running (direction changes at discretion of PT pointing L or R), sprints, split squats, and so on. So far things seem to be going extremely well.

I started agility/cone work today. Basically 8 cones set up and run around them changing direction. 20 yd sprints were added at the beginning and end for a pretty good work out.

I've also been doing a workout a friend of mine had after his meniscus surgery. Sitting in a chair, using nothing but your healing leg to stand up. It really focuses on strength in that leg and balance.

I wish continued recovery for all. Take care.

Also, Steve, do you mind if I send you a PM? I have a question for you.
Yeah, sure.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #970
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

so I got my scar tissue removed, as I posted in this thread. I have this lump right at one of the holes from the scope. Is this scar tissue? Should i just massage it?

I have another PT appt tomorrow, this just showed up today. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.