CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #891
Brad Redinger

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Hello all, I just wanted to provide an update on recovery.

I am now 9 weeks post-op. I had an allograft reconstruction along with medial meniscus repair.

At week 7 I met with my doctor who approved me to start some light jogging and swimming. I was also fitted for my ACL brace that I will use when I return to work. Last week I began resisted running. Basically my PT will hang onto a resistance band and I'll do running forwards, backwards, and side to side.

Everything is going great. My PT is happy with my lateral strength during the running. I believe next week I'm going to start some interval jogging/walking on a track to get back into some better cardio shape.

Best of luck to everyone else.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #892
Zane Jones

Profile:

Well, add me to the list.

I posted a few days ago in the starting forum (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=60862) about being very excited to start a crossfit program, but just found out the "MCL Sprain" I suffered at Officer Candidate School was actually a torn ACL and lateral meniscus.

I'm scheduled to have ACL recon surgery this coming week. I'm working my way through this thread but have a few questions. My ortho is using the hamstring tendon, has anyone here had this... i've seen a lot of people got the kneecap tendon.

Can a recovering patient do any crossfit? Or is that something that would be picked up 6 months post op?

Would using a Concept 2 rower be a good exercise for rehab in order to strengthen the leg muscles and keep some cardio capability?

My goal is to get back to where I was and go back to OCS in the summer, so recovery is my #1 priority. I'll obviously listen to my PT and do everything they say. But any advice that anyone can offer is appreciated.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 AM   #893
Mitchell Lintzen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
Can a recovering patient do any crossfit? Or is that something that would be picked up 6 months post op?
I'm 8 weeks post op and hitting PR's on pull-ups and my upper body is stronger than ever. You just have to make sure that every exercise you do fits within the restrictions set by your PT.

I'm doing everything in my garage and my programming is okay but, ideally, I would've had my PT and my Crossfit coach collaborate and I would've been in the gym from day 1. Sadly my PT wasn't interested in anything but her own program and since I was building up my garage gym anyway, I've been doing it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
Would using a Concept 2 rower be a good exercise for rehab in order to strengthen the leg muscles and keep some cardio capability?
I used a combination rower/recumbent bicycle and have rowed and cycled from day one. Recently I dropped the cycling just because I'm doing so many reps with functional Crossfit movements that it seemed to be overkill for my specific goals (someone probably doesn't like that).

I've also begun assisted full ROM air squats by holding onto a ring hanging in front of me to vary the weight. Wish I had started that weeks ago.

Good luck with your recovery.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #894
Ivy Sciandra

Profile:

I'm now 6 weeks post op with the patellar graft. I am 0-143. Unfortunately, I've been 0-143 for the past 3 weeks! I can't seem to get any more bend in my knee. I try to push it, but it simply has no where to go. I do still have some swelling in my knee. Anyone have experience like this? It's quite frustrating. I won't be happy until my foot can reach my butt, just like the other one does.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:20 AM   #895
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy Sciandra View Post
I'm now 6 weeks post op with the patellar graft. I am 0-143. Unfortunately, I've been 0-143 for the past 3 weeks! I can't seem to get any more bend in my knee. I try to push it, but it simply has no where to go. I do still have some swelling in my knee. Anyone have experience like this? It's quite frustrating. I won't be happy until my foot can reach my butt, just like the other one does.
Mate, it took well over a year to get anywhere near equal ROM for me. In fact, I reckon I only really got there about 3 or 4 months ago and that's closer to 2 than 1. The knee was strong as and stable but the ROM was slow to return. Its not abnormal for it to take a while.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #896
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

I am five months post-op and still not very far along. I had an appointment yesterday to go over my MRI and there is a bunch of scar tissue behind the knee cap that gets stuck under the joint. That is causing me discomfort and I don't have much ROM.

I will be scheduling a surgery soon to remove the scar tissue. This has been a long process and I just want it to be over with.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #897
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Zane, I had the hamstring autograft done on my right knee. Muscularly it's fine, but recovery time was longer with the hamstring graft as opposed to my left knee which had the achilles tendon autograft. I think the two most popular grafts are the patellar tendon and then the cadaver autograft.

All I can say is make sure your surgeon is well qualified, with a lot of positive references with success rate and recovery post-op.

Jared, it's a long haul, hopefully scoping out your scar tissue will help you along your way towards a full recovery. I may eventually have to go that route with my right knee. Good luck, man.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #898
Brad Redinger

Profile:
Question Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Hello all. Today I've been having the feeling like my knee needs to "crack" to feel better. Does anyone understand what I mean? The same with a knuckle cracking, my knee feels like there is some pressure built up that would be best relieved by a crack.

Has anyone else experienced this? What have you done to alleviate it?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #899
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Redinger View Post
Hello all. Today I've been having the feeling like my knee needs to "crack" to feel better. Does anyone understand what I mean? The same with a knuckle cracking, my knee feels like there is some pressure built up that would be best relieved by a crack.

Has anyone else experienced this? What have you done to alleviate it?

Thanks.
Happens to me all the time. Broached the subject with 3 different physical therapists (because I've had 3 different ones over the last 2 years) and they've all come back with roughly the same assumption -- some scar tissue has developed that is causing the knee to track improperly. Once my knee cracks or pops it feels much better because it is tracking properly again. Generally the response I get from people I talk to about it is that as long as it doesn't hurt, it isn't a problem. I'm already predisposed to arthritis of the knee simply from ACL reconstruction anyways.

I've just learned to live with it.

I've found, at least with my knee, that I just stop movement, go into full extension, and wiggle my kneecap around a bit and it generally helps. This is a very non-scientific answer with little to no proof as to it actually working. But it seems to help in my case.

The same thing happens to my sister who has degenerative meniscus issues.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #900
Zane Jones

Profile:

Everyone, thanks for your comments.

I'm officially one day post op! I had my first physical therapy session and my ROM was 0 to 85. I was a little upset about the 85, I wanted more, but They said that i was a great start and once the nerve block wears out and the staples are out It will only get better.

I'm on percocet and still my shin/tibia is KILLING me. it was tingling early but now it's like a throbbing burn. I mean, I guess someone DID bore a hole or something through it.

Hamstring is also, as expected, a little tender. I'm getting around on crutches, icing 3+ times a day and doing my exercises.

How did you guys feel immediately to a week post op? What did you do?