CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #851
Jon Houle

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Cool article Mitchell. I've been trying to find a gym close to my house that will let me use their erg for cheap (i.e: not a $20 daily fee) pre and post op but I've had little luck so far. Nice to know that there's some science behind my rowing idea :P
Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #852
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

I am 3.5 months out right now and still don't have full extension. I called my doctor's office and I am getting a dynosplint tomorrow. It is basically a brace I will wear at night that will keep my leg in full extension. I hope it works!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #853
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
I am 3.5 months out right now and still don't have full extension. I called my doctor's office and I am getting a dynosplint tomorrow. It is basically a brace I will wear at night that will keep my leg in full extension. I hope it works!
Done prone hangs with heat?

PNF stretching?

Massage to break up scar tissue and loosen tighten muscles?

Honestly you probably dont need a splint unless youve tried everythign under the sun. ESpecialyl if you have to pay for it
Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #854
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

yeah, did the hangs, stretching and massaging. It's been 3.5 months.

It is called a dynasplint, not dynosplint like I said in my post before.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #855
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
yeah, did the hangs, stretching and massaging. It's been 3.5 months.

It is called a dynasplint, not dynosplint like I said in my post before.
Yeah, go for it then.

You'll probably be pretty sore though so brace yourself.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #856
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Yeah, go for it then.

You'll probably be pretty sore though so brace yourself.
I am ready to be sore. I just want to get this knee right and this has been very frustrating for me. ha...I am sitting here at 2 AM with my splint just watching the clock so I can get about a half hour in while wearing the brace before sleep. No way I can get to sleep with this thing on though.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #857
Ivy Sciandra

Profile:

I am 10 days post op. I am at 0-130 degrees already, so I'm pretty pleased with that. The doctor wanted me at 100 degrees at the end of this week, so I am way ahead of schedule in the bending department. I am in a brace fully locked and on crutches. Some of my therapy now has me doing stork stands out of the brace and I have to say that I feel very, very wobbly.

I go back to the doctor on Wednesday and I think he will unlock the brace to give me some mobility. I hate this darn thing. He said I will be in it for another two months. Ugh.

As for pain, I took myself off the Percocet after a week. I hated every single thing about being on it. It made me nauseous, gave me headaches, made me itch, made me all foggy, made me dizzy, you name it. I am dealing pretty well with over the counter medicine - even after PT. Sleeping is a bit tougher, but I'll deal with it.

Oh yeah, the doctor said that I did some permanent damage to my cartilage. He smoothed it out best he could, but he said I will have arthritis in the future. Anyone else with cartilage damage?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #858
Byron G Trafton

Profile:

I had my ACL rebuilt two years ago now and haven't not had any arthritis. The only issue I personally have is trouble doing pistols with my injured leg.

I have heard that depending on what was used to rebuild the ligament will determine what your issues may be. The doc used my own hamstring supposedly leading to a longer recovery but over all being the best option. A friend of mines doc used patellar and was told that over time he was likely to develop tendentious.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #859
Jon Houle

Profile:

Well I (FINALLY) got my MRI results from the doctor. This is about a month after the injury; gotta love Ontario healthcare sometimes.

I have full Acl, Mcl and Pcl tears (maybe I should just create a My Knee is Totally F'ed thread). Anyways, I was referred to the sports medicine section of this hospital where there are some reputable doctors that work on Acl and Pcl reconstructions. The bad part is that it could take a few months simply to get an appointment for consultation (I really hope that this was a misunderstanding between myself and the clinic doctor). So I may have to look elsewhere for the surgery if I don't want to wait many months just to see IF I need surgery.

For now it's off to physio. I'll keep you all posted and best of luck with all those undergoing post-op surgery.

Last edited by Jon Houle; 07-26-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #860
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy Sciandra View Post
I am 10 days post op. I am at 0-130 degrees already, so I'm pretty pleased with that. The doctor wanted me at 100 degrees at the end of this week, so I am way ahead of schedule in the bending department. I am in a brace fully locked and on crutches. Some of my therapy now has me doing stork stands out of the brace and I have to say that I feel very, very wobbly.

I go back to the doctor on Wednesday and I think he will unlock the brace to give me some mobility. I hate this darn thing. He said I will be in it for another two months. Ugh.

As for pain, I took myself off the Percocet after a week. I hated every single thing about being on it. It made me nauseous, gave me headaches, made me itch, made me all foggy, made me dizzy, you name it. I am dealing pretty well with over the counter medicine - even after PT. Sleeping is a bit tougher, but I'll deal with it.

Oh yeah, the doctor said that I did some permanent damage to my cartilage. He smoothed it out best he could, but he said I will have arthritis in the future. Anyone else with cartilage damage?
Lack of meniscus does accerate damage to the articular condyles of the femur and tibia...

HOWEVER, proper exercise and anti-inflammatories like fish oil and eating properly (no o36 imbalance) SHOULD theoretically stave off arthritis for a long time if not indefinitely.

Arthritis is a disease of civilization -- any of the hunter gatherer tribes still out int he world move around a lot and eat only real food and pretty much have no diabetes, heart disease or surprise surprise arthritis.

Chronic inflammation gets in the way of proper healing cycles of the chondrocytes within the knee leading to the degeration.

If you eat right and take your fish oil you shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time unless you really do some major damage to your leg.

On the upside eating properly and fish oiling it up will make your recovery SIGNFIICANTLY faster too.