CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #841
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Was "toe-touch" weight bearing with crutches immediately after surgery and began at-home exercises post-op day 1. (Quad iso's, heel stretches)

Currently post-op day 6, I have a follow-up appointment in two days to remove my sutures and be evaluated for any weight-bearing changes and approval to begin formal PT appointments.

Meanwhile continuing to do quad sets, heel stretches, heel slides, and straight leg lifts (with brace).

The majority of the pain I'm experiencing is behind my knee, basically top of calf/bottom of hamstring junction. Stretching exercises remedies this.

Other than that I still experience a lot of pain on flexion with my MCL injury. I feel like the tightness in my MCL is limiting me in flexion more than my ACL allograft. At most I've been able to bend my knee to a ROM of around 90 degrees, maybe a little bit more. My MCL injury prevented me from gaining full ROM during PT pre-surgery as well.

Here's to hoping my follow-up gives me good news and I can accelerate my PT a bit.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #842
Ivy Sciandra

Profile:

I'm so glad I found this thread. I tore my acl (and sprained my mcl and lcl) 7 weeks ago landing a layout full twist in gymnastics. My surgery is next Friday and you have all given me great information on what to expect. My doctor and I opted for a patellar graft. I hope to bounce back quickly, but at my advanced age of 41 (insert laugh track), I know it will probably be a little more difficult.

Ivy
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #843
Jon Houle

Profile:

Layout full twist at 41! Impressive. Good luck with the surgery and recovery Ivy.

Hopefully the results from my MRI will come back not too bad and I'll be on the fast track to recovery.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #844
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

I am 3 months out of my ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair and I am still a couple degrees from full extension. This is driving me nuts.

My doctor said full extension will come over time, one physical therapist said he has seen full extension come as late as 6 months and now another physical therapist said that I may not get it back.

OK, so what is the story here? Is this scar tissue build up in the joints? Do I need another surgery to clean out the scar tissue? If you have any experience with this, please help out. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #845
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
I am 3 months out of my ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair and I am still a couple degrees from full extension. This is driving me nuts.

My doctor said full extension will come over time, one physical therapist said he has seen full extension come as late as 6 months and now another physical therapist said that I may not get it back.

OK, so what is the story here? Is this scar tissue build up in the joints? Do I need another surgery to clean out the scar tissue? If you have any experience with this, please help out. Thanks.
Are you talking about extension or flexion? I'm at full extension on my left knee ACL reconstruction and meniscus trim 3 weeks out of surgery.

There was a huge emphasis from my doctor and my therapist to get extension as soon as possible and I was at full extension no more than 5 days post-op.

My right knee ACL reconstruction, however, is still missing about 2 - 3 degrees extension (naturally +2 hyperextension, I'm usually around -1 or 0 degrees now.)

For that surgery it was a different doctor and different therapist, both of whom put more emphasis on flexion than extension.

At this point in time my right knee will seemingly never get back to full extension and I have to stretch it every day multiple times a day to get to 0 degrees. I have general tightness in the hamstrings where they took the graft as well as having significant scar tissue buildup around the kneecap.

My current physical therapist pretty much has told me that I'm stuck with it that way unless I want to have another arthroscopy to clean out the scar tissue. Even with that, there are no guarantees because any surgery is going to cause scar tissue to develop.

I don't mean to be a downer, but this is what I've been told and have experienced first hand. Try doing this stretch...I do it multiple times a day and it helps me maintain 0 degrees extension with my right leg. I started doing this stretch day 0 post-op to ensure I got to full extension with my left knee.
http://www.footstore.com/wp-content/...lf_stretch.jpg [WFS]
Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #846
Steven Low

Profile:

Have them do some PNF stretching on your hamstring.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #847
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

Hi. I was non-weightbearing for 6 weeks due to microfracture surgery. I made it almost 5. As I walked into my post op appt carrying my brace and crutches, wearing my little summer wedges, I said to the doc - Look I will be honest and I need to know whether I have screwed everything up.

Knee is great!!! ONWARD!

I am only allowed to squat to 45 degrees. I have to start PT again. I stopped because while I was non weightbearing I was doing leg raises for $25 a pop. Um.. no.

I didn't have an ACL for 20 years before this surgery and feel like my leg is stronger than a lot of people who HAD one, tore it, then got the surgery immediately.

It will be tough to follow instructions but I am trying. It just feels so good to be on two feet again!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #848
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

good job Eileen. I was in bad shape after my month of not putting my leg down. I had absolutely no strength. Did you get your meniscus repaired or removed?

I am struggling with my extension still after 3.5 months. I have about a degree to go and I am getting a bit worried.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #849
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
good job Eileen. I was in bad shape after my month of not putting my leg down. I had absolutely no strength. Did you get your meniscus repaired or removed?

I am struggling with my extension still after 3.5 months. I have about a degree to go and I am getting a bit worried.
Heat to the back of the leg followed with some PNF stretching
Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #850
Mitchell Lintzen

Profile:

I'm 17 days post ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair. The surgeon used some of my patellar tendon for the replacement. I tore the ACL 13 years ago playing basketball on carpet flooring (don't do that) in a small apt complex gym. I managed with it but occasionally would buckle it and subsequently damaged the meniscus to the point that my knee started "popping out of socket" at will in the last week of June. I would have to straighten my leg and squeeze to get it back in place.

Rehab is going well and I wanted to share a good find. I purchased a Stamina EMR Conversion II Recumbent Bike/Rower on Craigslist for $250 and it is been awesome for rehab. I'm doing 10 minutes cycle and rowing 1 mi a couple times a day. It's all very low intensity right now so it is giving me a good chance to really focus on technique.

I didn't find a lot of information but here's one good paper comparing cycling to rowing for knee rehab done by a clinic in London:
Knee Rehab: Cycling vs. Rowing

I wish you all a speedy recovery. I, for one, can't wait to get back into some good solid metcons.