CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Rodger Core

Profile:
New here, switching from bodybuilding to Crossfit

hey all: I used to solely care about hypertrophy. Now i could care less. I can't run a mile under 8 minutes anymore, i am slow as hell on sprints, and even though i have gone from 130 lbs to 150 lbs, It has probably been half muscle and half fat as my stomache has gotten soft and wider however i have gotten stronger. My goals have changed. I would love to stay around 145-150 and get very lean and incredible strong in ratio to my bodyweight. My current lifts are: Bench: 190-200 Squat: 240 and Deadlift: 285

I have researched Crossfit so much the past 3 days and have seen many hybrids. My question is if I just do the WOD's on the website and add in a bench and heavy deadlift session once or twice a week would i have the strength gains i desire along with being overall fit? I saw one guy said he weighs 145 and deadlifts 425 simply off of doing the WOD's for a year or so. I was psyched when i saw that. Any help appreciated guys thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Rodger Core

Profile:
Re: New here, switching from bodybuilding to Crossfit

anybody? I'm thinking of adding in 3 sets of 1 compound lift 3 to 4 days a week before doing a WOD.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Justin Ludwig

Profile:

I have similar goals to yours. Strength based on weight ratio: To be able to push/pull my weight in any direction at any given time.

I use Wendler 5/3/1 for strength and self-designed WODs to compliment the strength and enjoy "esprit de CrossFit".

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...?m=PD&pid=2976 Link WFS

Coming from a BB background, you may look at 5/3/1 and say there is no way that works. Gotta try it before you can knock it.

As for the 3 sets of 1 compound lift before a WOD? Sure, but how's your form and at what weight? First time I tried a Snatch, I felt like I road the short bus to the gym. Not an easy lift. Eat the CrossFit elephant one bite at a time.

Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 01-13-2012 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: url missing
Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Rodger Core

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
I have similar goals to yours. Strength based on weight ratio: To be able to push/pull my weight in any direction at any given time.

I use Wendler 5/3/1 for strength and self-designed WODs to compliment the strength and enjoy "esprit de CrossFit".

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...?m=PD&pid=2976 Link WFS

Coming from a BB background, you may look at 5/3/1 and say there is no way that works. Gotta try it before you can knock it.

As for the 3 sets of 1 compound lift before a WOD? Sure, but how's your form and at what weight? First time I tried a Snatch, I felt like I road the short bus to the gym. Not an easy lift. Eat the CrossFit elephant one bite at a time.
I have seen 5/3/1 and heard success stories so it looks good honestly. My form is good and i'd be going 2-6 heavy reps....so for squat id be using somewhere between 205 and 220, deadlift around 255 for 2 to 3 rep sets, and for bench id be using 170-180 for 2-3 reps and 155 for 5 to 6 reps...I'd plan on hitting squats 2x a week and deadlifts and bench once a week...I'd like to get in 3-4 WOD's off the website to start out then gradually increase to do WOD's whenever they are posted. what do you think of this? Or do you think doing 5/3/1 then WOD's would be better? and would WOD's the same day as a 5/3/1 workout be a good idea as well as 1 on an off day or should i do WOD's different days than a 5/3/1 workout if i chose that route

Last edited by Rodger Core; 01-13-2012 at 09:23 PM..
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Don't try to create your own program, just do something that's tried and true. If you want to do 5/3/1 use that as your lifting for 3 or 4 days per week and work in smart conditioning workouts 2-3 times per week. They don't have to be the CF.com workouts, and a lot of times they're far from the best things you could do in conjunction with a strength program.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

If you want to do a hybrid program, I'd recommend following one that is already programmed for you. Check out CrossFit-Strength and LiftStrongRunFast to get some ideas and see If you like it. 5/3/1 is great, but unless you know how to program MetCons, you will most likely mess it up.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Rodger Core

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Don't try to create your own program, just do something that's tried and true. If you want to do 5/3/1 use that as your lifting for 3 or 4 days per week and work in smart conditioning workouts 2-3 times per week. They don't have to be the CF.com workouts, and a lot of times they're far from the best things you could do in conjunction with a strength program.
what about Crossfit Football? I'm not a football player but i checked out their workout of the days and they seem good. Or is that for collegiate athletes?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CFFB is a very good program for anyone who wants to get stronger and faster and more powerful, and John Welbourn really knows his stuff. The upside to it is that you can just follow what's on the website and you don't have to do any thinking in terms of programming your own lifting or conditioning work--like Paulo said, most people aren't experienced enough to program effectively for themselves.

Unless you're an in-season athlete, I'd recommend starting out by following his offseason program at the amateur level.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Rodger Core

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
CFFB is a very good program for anyone who wants to get stronger and faster and more powerful, and John Welbourn really knows his stuff. The upside to it is that you can just follow what's on the website and you don't have to do any thinking in terms of programming your own lifting or conditioning work--like Paulo said, most people aren't experienced enough to program effectively for themselves.

Unless you're an in-season athlete, I'd recommend starting out by following his offseason program at the amateur level.
thank you so much man. Today i just did the WOD on the crossfit website after doing 3 sets of 5 on bench getting up 160x5.....Tabata training was the most intense thing i have done. My heart rate is still over 110 and ive been sitting at home for 10 minutes. However I'm going to start CFFB...Do you believe I could get very lean and stay at 150 while doing this? and of course tons of strength will follow...And how can you tell what is amatuer is it on the website? sorry for all these questions just new here and excited about it
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

How tall are you? Unless you're 5'5" I'm not understanding why you'd want to stay at 150lbs if you care about getting stronger. But yeah, you can get stronger at a lighter weight, albeit not as quickly. Your weight will mostly be a function of how much you eat.

CFFB is split into the daily WOD and the strength WOD. The daily WOD is what's in the main blog post and is generally the same for all levels. Off to the right you'll see a week's worth of strength WODs, they're what's split into amateur/college/pro levels. Today is a rest day but you can flip back through the last few days to get an idea of how they look. You'll want to follow amateur based on your current strength levels.