CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
I want to dive deeper into olympic lifting.

And im looking for advice!

Basically I'm a crossfitter with a bias in strength. I have been doing CFFB for awhile now until I injured my shoulder (tendonitis). Right now I am in the process of recovery, and the only thing I have been doing is running/biking. I dont expect the recovery to take much longer, for I am nearing the end of it.

Lately I have acquired great interest in olympic weightlifting and I have decided that that is what I want to focus my training on once my shoulder has completely recovered. I want to become proficient with the lifts while maximizing my strength without gaining too much bodyweight. I know how to perform both the c+j and the snatch from the ground and the hang position. I am also familiar with the jerk, push press, and front squat to the extent that they are used in CFFB. I have never done snatch or clean pulls but I do not assume they would be too hard to learn.

Basically what looking for are opinions on how to tailor my training to become a stronger olympic weightlifter.

I am not opposed to completely stopping crossfit metcons if that is going to be something that would hold me back, or cause a greater risk of injury. (i have a history of shoulder tendonitis). If I don't need to do that, are there ways I can incorporate 1-3 metcons per week? If not metcons maybe some running would be safer?

Are the workouts posted on catalyst athletics ok for beginner o-lifters? I noticed they have some combination of conditioning with their o-lifting routine.

If not catalyst what other route should I take. I'm not too familiar with any other o-lifting templates/programs so I come here to the forums!

Also I have rogue hi-temp bumpers (great investment) but I have a crappy bar. It spins but its one of those cheap ones you can get at dicks/sports authority. How urgent would it be for me to get a new bar if I were to really get into this.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: I want to dive deeper into olympic lifting.

Ideally, find a good coach and do what he says.

If that's not an option, wander over to http://www.pendlayforum.com/index.php (mostly WFS, occasional language) and start reading.

Katherine
Old 07-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Chris Henderson

Profile:

If you can find an experienced oly-lifting coach in your area, start there. It will be better to start with good technique early, then the "unlearn" bad habits. Maybe someone on the catalyst forum knows of a good coach.

Next, save your money for a good bar.

As for Training plans, Glen Pendlay has some beginner articles (WFS)

good luck
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

http://olyathlete.com/ (WFS) Has a beginner OLY wod.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

http://www.eastcoastgold.org/ (WFS). Go forth and prosper, my son.

Start saving for a bar now so that it won't be such a big deal when you decide to buy one.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

You need a lot of time with a coach. Period.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I don't think you NEED a lot of time with a coach you can get pretty far on some initial coaching, watching videos and reading, and some spot checks every now and then. If you want to go to the olympics a lot of time with coach is probably a great idea but if you want to get stronger in your garage minimal time will suffice. Of course if you have the time and the money coaching time with a good coach is the way to go.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
I don't think you NEED a lot of time with a coach you can get pretty far on some initial coaching, watching videos and reading, and some spot checks every now and then. If you want to go to the olympics a lot of time with coach is probably a great idea but if you want to get stronger in your garage minimal time will suffice. Of course if you have the time and the money coaching time with a good coach is the way to go.
Oly coaches usually are not any more than most cf boxes. Most experts say it takes between 2-10 months to get proper form with constant coaching. John Broz says he makes his new students do about 1,500 reps of both the snatch and clean and jerk with a broomstick before ever putting a weight in their hand. Just something to consider.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
http://www.eastcoastgold.org/ (WFS). Go forth and prosper, my son.

Start saving for a bar now so that it won't be such a big deal when you decide to buy one.
I was going to recommend this too Mike. I'm in your area (Langhorne) and have been kicking around the idea of getting some coaching on the OLY lifts. The only one I found in the area (courtesy of the eastcoastgold link) is the Moorestown Weightlifting Club in Moorestown, NJ. Should be a 40 min. trek down I95 then over the Tacony Palmyra Bridge.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Jim Rutter trains and teaches Oly at Crossfit Center City in downtown Philadelphia. I'm not sure if he's taking on private clients but it might be worth contacting him through crossfitcc@gmail.com.