CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Check out these QuickTime movies. This guy started doing the Olympic lifts about 6 months ago:
Don Shankle - 140kg snatch
Don Shankle - 170kg clean & jerk
(Need Quicktime to run)

Before taking up Olympic lifting, Don was doing the standard bodybuilding/hypertrophy routines. He'd done some crude power cleans and bodybuilder's front squats (crossed arms) but had never done snatches or jerks before. In his first meet Don qualified for American Open. At the American Open - his second meet - he qualified for the Senior Nationals. At the Nationals he finished 4th, as the lightest lifter in his division. Not too shabby. Who says the Olympic lifts take years to learn?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Lincoln, this is really impressive. Do you know this guy personally? I'm wondering what changes were most noticeable as he got into olympic lifting, e.g., flexibility, bodyweight, etc. etc.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Yeah, Don started training with Mike Burgener at Mike's Gym for the first 3 months then moved to Texas, I believe. He now works with Glenn Pendlay. I saw Don training at Mike's probably a half dozen times. He's a fiercely intense and soft-spoken guy.

Despite the fact that Don was already very strong and training hard before he started Olympic weightlifting, he gained additional weight and strength under Mike's coaching. I don't have the exact numbers, but I think his squatting went up 10 or 20 kilos. He also had to develop a little extra flexibility to get into the low squat position as well.

Mike and Glenn worked very closely to make sure that Don's training had a smooth continuity between coaching changes. (Don had recently gotten out of the Marines and couldn't afford to stay in Southern California.) I think Mike got Don up to 125/170 and Glenn got Don up to 140/175.

Needless to say, Your Mileage May Vary.