CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #171
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
One of the former Crossfit Games champions (world's fittest man) urinated black and was curled up into a fetal position and said he was experiencing "physiological symptoms of death" during the Crossfit Games.

Ever seen that in an NFL game?
Maybe he should have scaled the workout. That's the answer to everything right?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #172
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
"Our TEAM of dedicated CrossFitters have been forged together in the heat of training. Real training. Training that causes physical and psychological breakdowns. In today’s society you NEED this kind of training."

Actual quote from an affiliate website.
Tamara and Jamie:

Maybe I am just really lucky. Our box has its share of really good athletes who go all out, but it also caters to those who are a lot more mellow, who just want to get into better shape. I come in, get my workout in, interact with some really cool people, and leave in a good mood.

I was encouraged (and sometimes forced) to "take it easy" coming back from my groin pull for example. No forced physical or psychological breakdowns where I am at.

Not trying to sound all Pollyanna-ish here, but isn't it a matter of finding a place you connect with? I mean, some people actually do love to be screamed at...

Last edited by Michael Capalbo; 07-27-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #173
Tom Seryak

Profile:

CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.

just because crossfit decided to turn exercise into a competition and then call it a sport doesn't mean that it is a sport. suppose that it is, then athletes who 'play' crossfit should adopt a strength and conditioning program that prepares them physically to do well at their sport without injuring them...which is why none (there may be a small handful that do, but most of them don't) of the games competitors do crossfit to train for crossfit.

so, crossfit's best athletes use something different than crossfit as their strength and conditioning program to prepare themselves to compete in crossfit. anyone else find this ironic?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #174
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Capalbo View Post
Tamara and Jamie:

Maybe I am just really lucky. Our box has its share of really good athletes who go all out, but it also caters to those who are a lot more mellow, who just want to get into better shape. I come in, get my workout in, interact with some really cool people, and leave in a good mood.

I was encouraged (and sometimes forced) to "take it easy" coming back from my groin pull for example. No forced physical or psychological breakdowns where I am at.

Not trying to sound all Pollyanna-ish here, but isn't it a matter of finding a place you connect with? I mean, some people actually do love to be screamed at...
Michael, I have trained at many, many affiliates. They all have a different vibe. They all have different priorities. There are certain affiliates that I love for a lot of reasons. But, all the newbie sees is the CrossFit name on the door. They know that the trainer is Level 1 certified. For most people, that is enough. They assume a certain level of competence.

And, I can say from personal experience that finding a place that you connect with doesn't mean that the trainers know what the hell they are doing.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #175
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I'm not going to refute that.

But, of the millions of people who are practicing that daily, how many of them are paying a certified coach in order to do it?
Hah, a lot. C'mon, you know as good as anyone how little a cert actually means. Actually, far more egregious IMHO is the number of certified coaches who don't teach running at all, or who say, as Dr. Romanov jokes, "jussst gooo, nice and easy." And this includes CrossFit. I can count on one hand the number of coaches I have met in CF who even encourage barefoot running technique of some form or another in their classes, and fewer still that actually teach POSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Can you think of one heel-striking injury that requires immediate hospitalization in order to stay alive? Or one that results in acute injury? By this I mean something goes SNAP all of a sudden and requires immediate surgery, and not something that involves gradual degradation of joints over months/years.
Ah, so injuring clients is dandy as long as one does it slowly and chronically?

Quote:
Or, better yet, can you name a single organization or website that people turn to when they want information on running?
No that's part of the problem. Well, Romanov has his POSE site, but it's not very well known yet, as far as I can tell anyway. And he knows what he's talking about. But even if he didn't, that doesn't mean I get to sue him for anonymous advice he wrote on the internet.

Christ, I can't even begin to tell you the number of people I've encountered who can barely squat 1/3 BW, only after fixing their atrocity of a squat, who just assume they should be able to hop off the couch and run a half marathon with a couple months prep at most.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal; 07-27-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #176
Evan Jackson

Profile:

Normally I'm getting ****ed at people for shirking their responsibility. This is a change. I'm getting ****ed at people for putting responsibility where it does not belong.

This board is ****ed up.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #177
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.

just because crossfit decided to turn exercise into a competition and then call it a sport doesn't mean that it is a sport. suppose that it is, then athletes who 'play' crossfit should adopt a strength and conditioning program that prepares them physically to do well at their sport without injuring them...which is why none (there may be a small handful that do, but most of them don't) of the games competitors do crossfit to train for crossfit.

so, crossfit's best athletes use something different than crossfit as their strength and conditioning program to prepare themselves to compete in crossfit. anyone else find this ironic?
I don't think it is ironic at all. Just because they are doing a strength and conditioning program doesn't mean it still isn't CrossFit. CrossFit is evolving and that is a good thing. I see what the elite Crossfiters doing as advanced CrossFit.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #178
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

But that again raises the question about "sports" vs. "strength and conditioning programs." If injuries are common in your S&C program, you need a new program.

Katherine
If you are an actual coach and your program results in tons of injuries when your number one job is to keep your kids healthy so they can play, you quickly quit getting referred to as coach and start getting referred to as "Unemployed."

If you coach a bunch of people, they get hurt far beyond what is normally considered acceptable, and then you glorify this and tell everyone else this is what they should strive for, you may find yourself referred to as "defendant."

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #179
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
CrossFit is evolving and that is a good thing. I see what the elite Crossfiters doing as advanced CrossFit.
If Crossfit is open sourced and evidence based, then why is the programming the athletes actually do not posted on the main page?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #180
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I see what the elite Crossfiters doing as advanced CrossFit.
So doing things that directly oppose how Greg Glassman suggests people work out (focusing specifically on weaknesses, periodizing, not randomizing things) is now "Advanced Crossfit"?

Training the way successful athletes have been training for decades and decades is now "Advanced Crossfit"?

Someone contact the Russians and Chinese. They're doing "Advanced Crossfit", hope they've paid their affiliate fees!