CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #151
Jamie Gowens

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
There may be other "systems" in which I could find success, but no one will be able to convince me that Crossfit is dangerous, ineffective, inefficient nor elitist.
Think of CrossFit like a weapon...a gun, if you will.
Improperly used, they're very dangerous.
Improperly used, they can be very ineffective as defense weapons.
Improperly used, a gun can be very inefficient. (Double barrel in case of zombie attack? Hello? Needz moar roundz!)
And, anyone can get one and use it.

A gun can be used to kill, or a gun can be used as a means of defense or in sport.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #152
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
I don't buy it. You have to go pretty far outside the intended bounds of the program and individual limitations to put yourself in that much danger.
Multiple people popped their Achilles doing one of the high-rep box jump workouts of the Open. They were doing a workout Crossfit HQ chose--is that outside the boundaries of Crossfit? Achilles tears, by the way, don't give any warning, it's BAM and you're done.

Crossfit HQ programs high-rep GHDs, high-rep GHDs are one of the most common causes of rhabdo. They program high-rep pull-ups--high-rep kipping pull-ups are terrible for the shoulder joint, and high-rep jumping pull-ups--the scaling that Crossfit HQ recommends--are another common cause of rhabdo. Are these outside the boundaries of Crossfit? Doing workouts Crossfit puts on their mainpage?

The difference between Crossfit and riding a motorcycle manufacturer is that the motorcycle manufacturer doesn't tell you riding 100mph and swerving around 18-wheelers is a good idea. And you also have the experience to know that kind of behavior is a bad idea. Crossfit encourages risky behavior among people who, having had no fitness background, have no way of judging whether the behavior is risky or not.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #153
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Right, because if he didn't do DUs then Greg frickin' Amundson wasn't doing CF.

Hilarious.
He certainly wasn't following main page, and I think main page programming is one of the issues many people in this thread have.

Katherine

Old 07-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #154
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
I'm assuming that your implication is that someone who does Crossfit to improve their fitness is more likely to experience injuries (specifically life-threatening injuries) than people who don't.

I don't buy it. You have to go pretty far outside the intended bounds of the program and individual limitations to put yourself in that much danger.
No you don't. Just search these boards alone. Youll find almost 200 cases, many following main page WODs. All types of experience levels. You'll also notice there are repeat offender exercises that main page programs regularly.

And your point about it being their responsibility is wrong. Refer to earlier post.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #155
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
There's a point someone other than the athlete needs to take responsibility and throw in the towel. A doctor on hand, with the authority to stop the competition if he determines an athlete may damage him(or her)self, seems like a pretty good idea for CF competitions.
So it's not a good idea to post it on the mainpage, across the affiliate blog, on both facebooks, and talk about what a fantastic performance the athlete put in?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #156
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Crossfit is sort of a different situation, though. The whole point -- unless Crossfit is your sport -- is to become more fit. *Any* injury is a setback relative to that goal. So a better comparison would be between Crossfit and other fitness programs, not between Crossfit and recreational or professional sports.
I see where you are coming from, but I stand by my assertation that many people play rec league sports to at least maintain their fitness. No one plays tennis with the end goal of increasing functional strength or improving their 400m time. However, many people do regard it as their "workout" and a means by which to stay in shape. Ditto for other sports.

In that regard, I still think it's a valid comparison.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #157
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
If someone wants to compete in CF and is training for the games then I suppose they acknowledge a certain amount of risk that goes with pushing that hard on a regular basis. However, the vast majority of people that do CF don't give a sh*t about being elite at anything and just want to feel, better, look better, and have a hightened quality of life. If you accept people like this into your gym and take their money then you are saying that you are experienced and knowledgable enough to help them toward that goal. To then give a person like that a completely avoidable LIFE THREATENING injury by programming movements KNOWN to cause said injury is completely unacceptable. Even to tear their achilles programmimg a movement known to cause such an injury in high quantities is unacceptable. It's not their fault that this happened because they didn't know the movements were inherently dangerous and it's not their fault because they didn't know their limits. That's why they're paying you. And no the answer isn't "well CF is hard."

If a gym or trainer isn't comfortable training people with normal goals or just want to be healthy then they need to turn those poeple away and say that they're only looking for competitive Crossfitters. Because putting someone in the hospital for six days, or in a cast for much longer is NOT healthy and it's not fitness and they would have been better off going to LA fitness and doing circuits on the machines.
Yes, exactly.

If you are going to take someone's money, you had better be ready to take the responsibility that comes with that. You don't get to sell your gym based on the competitive atmosphere and then blame it on the client when they get hurt.

Katherine

Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #158
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
So a better comparison would be between Crossfit and other fitness programs, not between Crossfit and recreational or professional sports.
Such as injury rates of:

CrossFit versus Spin Classes
CrossFit versus Zumba
CrossFit versus Step Aerobics
Etc.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #159
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Refute this poindexters :

Running with a heel strike is probably the most injurious and pedestrian activity known to man. Thousands -- nay -- millions of people practice it in the US alone, orthopaedists and coaches recommend and teach it, and countless knees and shins are quietly yet predictably destroyed by it. Oh, by the way, I have no proof. Where do I sign for my class-action check?

Last edited by Mauricio Leal; 07-27-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #160
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
I'm only going to point out that many boxes have cultures where a member feels shamed, bad, or a 'disappointment' for quitting a WOD, regardless of the reason. The HardenThe****UP mentality is becoming quite prevalent, and as a result, people who would normally have better sense are doing some pretty stupid things.

Yay peer pressure.
"Our TEAM of dedicated CrossFitters have been forged together in the heat of training. Real training. Training that causes physical and psychological breakdowns. In today’s society you NEED this kind of training."

Actual quote from an affiliate website.