CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Re: I want to dive deeper into olympic lifting.

I'd definitely buy Greg Everett's Olympic weightlifting book (should be on Catalyst), read through it, and follow his beginner's programs. I've heard excellent things about it from many people.

If you want one-on-one work, I work out at Iron Sport Gym in Glenolden, PA outside of Philly and could take you through the lifts any time you're looking for technique advice. I competed in Oly for two years, still do the lifts as part of my strongman training, and took the USAW Level 1 coaching course so I have a pretty good handle on 'em.

(Also Iron Sport is the Best Gym Ever and you can play with Atlas stones and strongman stuff!)
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Michael Zoda

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cieszkowski View Post
I was going to recommend this too Mike. I'm in your area (Langhorne) and have been kicking around the idea of getting some coaching on the OLY lifts. The only one I found in the area (courtesy of the eastcoastgold link) is the Moorestown Weightlifting Club in Moorestown, NJ. Should be a 40 min. trek down I95 then over the Tacony Palmyra Bridge.
Good to see somebody who lives so close! Yea I was thinking about checking out the moorestown NJ club. I'm a student and I work almost full time so finding the time to get down there especially when school starts would be tough. Maybe if I dedicated 1-2 days a week to getting there and did the rest on my own.

Gonna check out Greg Everetts book too!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Jim Napier

Profile:

I never had a coach and won nationals in 1977, but back then there weren't any coaches available, or any who knew very much. It's not so important to have a coach, as it is to have a burning desire to do the sport of weightlifting, a little athletic ability is also helpful. The sport of weightlifting requires great speed, timing, balance and quickness, and hugh strength built into the mechanics of your technical efficiency of style and posture (erect and rigid posture). You already know the lifts you need to execute: the front squat, snatch and clean maximum pulls and speed pulls, also done to near maximum. It takes tremendous strength to pull heavy weights from the floor to full extension and the muscles in the back, especially the lower spinal erectors, must be strengthened to excessive strength through the pulls. Stay away from the back squat and doing too many snatches and clean & jerks in training. Focus on strength and weave the lifts around that strength as it is developed. I would be more than happy to help you get started, if you are truly interested: www.spoonbarbellclub.com